Barnes LRX Accuracy issues...

crazyhorse

Went to the range today to try out several new loads in my .260.

First I tried the 140gr Amax with 45gr of H4831sc - bug holes! .336 five shot group!!!

Next was the 127gr LRX with 43gr of H4350. Terrible! It was so bad I didn't even measure, but if I had to guess it would be around 3"! They are seated just off the lands and showing no signs of pressure. I was really hoping to get a sub MOA load out of this bullet to use for deer hunting.

I know it is the first try with this bullet but I have never had one start this far off. Any suggestions?

Barrel is a pacnor 1:8 @ 24"

Back when I shot Barnes they wanted to be off the lands at least .050". I have not tried the LRX's though, the barnes days are gone for me.

Jeff

Start at .070 off the lands and your accuracy will be somewhere between there and .110 off the lands. Make sure you strip ALL the copper out of the barrel from a different make of bullet before you shoot the Barnes, they foul very quickly after another brand of bullet has been shot down the bore without cleaning. Good luck!

I will back them up a little and try again.

I was wrong on the load, it was 42gr of H4350.

Barnes28, I did shoot them in between a series of Amax loads, will start the next batch from a clean bore.

Ok, just got back from the range with better results.

I backed up my seating depth and it definitely improved my groups. However, it's still not where it needs to be. It would consistently put two shots under .5 and then the third would be over an inch out! Shot two groups that did this almost identically.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 178
Ok, just got back from the range with better results.

I backed up my seating depth and it definitely improved my groups. However, it's still not where it needs to be. It would consistently put two shots under .5 and then the third would be over an inch out! Shot two groups that did this almost identically.

Thoughts?
Maybe a primer change? That will usually pull the third shot into the group.

Not sure a primer will cause exact matching inconsistencies in two groups, but at this point I will try anything!

I'm still not showing any signs of pressure so I went up 1/2 grain and went for the middle of my two most accurate seating depths.

See what happens!

Not sure a primer will cause exact matching inconsistencies in two groups, but at this point I will try anything!

I'm still not showing any signs of pressure so I went up 1/2 grain and went for the middle of my two most accurate seating depths.

See what happens!

Primers will do that for sure!!! There can be many other things but I run a primer test if I see that kind of grouping.

Crazyhorse, how did you make out in the end with the LRX. I am having the same issues.

Went to the range today to try out several new loads in my .260.

First I tried the 140gr Amax with 45gr of H4831sc - bug holes! .336 five shot group!!!

Next was the 127gr LRX with 43gr of H4350. Terrible! It was so bad I didn't even measure, but if I had to guess it would be around 3"! They are seated just off the lands and showing no signs of pressure. I was really hoping to get a sub MOA load out of this bullet to use for deer hunting.

I know it is the first try with this bullet but I have never had one start this far off. Any suggestions?

Barrel is a pacnor 1:8 @ 24"

So far my best groups with one rifle came in at .090" off the lands and the other came in at .180" from the lands. The .090" is in a Pac-Nor barrel and the other is a Christensen Arms.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.