Barnes LRX Accuracy issues...

Thanks. What primers at you using?

I was using Federal 215 Magnums until today. I tried that one, CCI 250 Magnum, CCI BR-2, Remington 9 1/2M Magnum, and Winchester LRMP. The 250's are the magnums I will use in the future with this load. Tomorrow I might do the same test with standard primers.

I just loaded up some of the 145's in my .280 ai and as I measured them coming out of the press they were very inconsistent then I measured them individually and they were very inconsistent but my TSX's were fine and when I went for testing it showed I'm not gonna use the rest of my LRX's I do t trust them

Barnes bullets like to be at least 0.050 off the lands. If your bullets are seated closer than that, expect terrible accuracy

Didn't have much issue getting the 200gr LRX to group. I did notice unlike the Accubonds from my rifle, they don't like being pushed hard.

Ok, just got back from the range with better results.

I backed up my seating depth and it definitely improved my groups. However, it's still not where it needs to be. It would consistently put two shots under .5 and then the third would be over an inch out! Shot two groups that did this almost identically.

Thoughts?

I shoot a lot of Barnes and other copper. I shoot them in my 260

I will admit I have not yet had the time to load the 127LRX

If it were me:
Use a standard primer.
Seat deeper/farther from the lands. I never expose more than the first groove band.
Use H4350 or Reloader 17 (I have no data for the new reloader 16, I want it though).
Go fast or go home.

Last: This is a hunting rifle. What I see in your groups is perfect 2 shots with minor barrel heating. The third, the barrel has flexed down and right from heat. It does not take as much as you might think. Because there is consistency in the groups, you have a predictable situation. If you can repeat this over and over then change one thing at a time.

The first thing I would change is time. Time between shots. Like "Andrea True" said "More, More, More".

Some day I'll make the "thing" that let's me measure barrel flex from heat without actually shooting the rifle.

Crazyhorse I have been shooting all of the Barnes bullets lightly crimped in the shortest channel. Don't try the 127 LRX in a 1-9 twist would not stabilize in my 260's.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

My 14 year old daughter was shooting the 6.5 127 LRX out of a 6.5 SLR this past weekend with acceptable results. These will be her 500 yard deer bullet this year up on the AZ Kaibab plateau.

Winchester brass
CCI BR-2
43.5gr. H3450
127 LRX
2.240" CBTO
.0500" jump
3051fps from 28" barrel
.383" 5 shot group at 200 yards (.190ish MOA)

I shot the same bullet out of my .260 Rem light carry rifle with about a .589" 5 shot group @ 100 with no load development whatsoever. I will tweak this load just a bit to see if I can tighten it up. This gun routinely shoots the 140 HVLD @ .250-.300".

Lapua brass
CCI BR2
42.5 H4350
127 LRX
3001fps from 26" barrel
2.240" CBTO
.0500" jump

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.