Barnes LRX 7mm 139 vs 145

Anyone out there had any experience with both these bullets? I'm getting ready to start load development for a 280ai and would like to hear some thoughts. 139 to 145 doesn't seem like a big spread so I was wondering what Barnes made 2 so close together for. Seems like the 145 has more availability. Does anyone know if there is any performance difference?
I've bounce between the 145 LRX and the 150 triple shock in my seven Weatherby I tried some of the heavy Berger bullets. there accurate but I'm hesitant when you're spending 10 grand on a hunt I want to make sure I kill what I shoot

I've bounce between the 145 LRX and the 150 triple shock in my seven Weatherby I tried some of the heavy Berger bullets. there accurate but I'm hesitant when you're spending 10 grand on a hunt I want to make sure I kill what I shoot
LRO has a few successful African Safari hunts with Bergers at LR. I am pretty sure they spent more than $10K.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the 145's to fly as well with my rifle. After testing multiple powder combos 3/4" was best I could get. The 139's shot 1/2 groups with multiple loads and my best giving me a consistent 3/8

I don't think you'll see a huge performance difference but I was unaware of the differences in expansion velocities between the two.
A buddy shot this deer head on at 100 yds with his .280 ai. 145 gr LRX.
He never did find the bullet.
Have you lost your mind ? 😉
Great buck !!!

The general consensus is to run lighter mono's and heavier lead. This year I ran 168vlds in my ai since I couldn't find the LRX last year and it performed very well on a decent sized bear and whitetail doe. Both around the 430 yard mark. Now that the LRX is available, I'm not sure what I'll run. However, the 139 works extremely well in my rifle.
The 139 is a fantastic bullet and works very well as I have mentioned before. Some on this page are way too hung up on heavy weight & a slightly better BC. The way the 139 bullet functions (opens up) especially at lower velocities is best in class. Call Barnes if you don't believe me.

I was shooting the 145 LRX behind IMR4831 in my .280ai. I got decent groups, around 5/8-3/4" groups at 100 yds, good but nothing to brag about. Velocity was around 3050fps. I decided to switch to a more temperature stable powder and go with H4831sc. I figured if I'm switching powder I'm going to try the 139LRX. I like the idea of more velocity. For my shooting distances the slight reduction in BC is negligible. I haven't worked up a load for these yet but am looking forward to seeing how they perform. If I'm not happy, I'm thinking if trying hammer bullets next.
Good luck. Let us know what you go with and how they perform.
The .280 AI will blow off the peddles of the 139 just like the 7RM blows off the 145. Check out Simple Minded Fellar on UTubes high velocity impacts.

Anyone out there had any experience with both these bullets? I'm getting ready to start load development for a 280ai and would like to hear some thoughts. 139 to 145 doesn't seem like a big spread so I was wondering what Barnes made 2 so close together for. Seems like the 145 has more availability. Does anyone know if there is any performance difference?

what kind of game and to what ranges on a yearly basis?

I shot my first bull elk with an old style 140 gr. X-bullet from my 7mm Mag at about 250 yards. The bull died quickly, but the bullet didn't exit. I personally like exit wounds. I switched to the blue 160 gr. Barnes X bullets and killed everything with them. That high sectional density always penetrates and helps make up for imperfect shot angle.

I now shoot a 7mm WSM. I also switched to 168 gr. Berger VLD, and love them. They cost less and shoot better. Elk take one or two hesitant steps and fall down. It works just fine on javelina and everything in between. I shoot mild loads at 2850 fps. The only complaint I've ever heard about them is that the tip can get closed by handling, and then will pencil through. Before the hunt I use a pin drill to make sure the tips are open. Bergers shoot better than any bullet I've used except maybe the old A-max.

You can shoot lighter bullets at higher velocity and probably accomplish the same thing, but at the cost of more powder and shorter case life. With my short magazine, and the bullet loaded long, my rifle is a single shot. I use the Barnes as backup, but haven't actually shot any of them in years. Out to 200 yards, they shoot close enough to the same spot. Past 200 yards, I've always had time to load another Berger, but never needed to if my first shot was good.

what kind of game and to what ranges on a yearly basis?
I actually settled on the 139. I originally posted this about a year ago. Looks like it's got some renewed interest. However, curious to hear your thoughts since they are both similar. Shots could be very close to probably 600 is max for me on anything lower 48

For years, in three different 7mm-08, I ran 140 gr Nosler partition with 45.6 grs of IMR-4350, CCI BR-2 Primers and Lapua brass. It shot great in three different rifles and performed well on game. Then since I was going out west where long shots were the norm and my wife wanted a load for her 7mm-08 Weatherby Camilla for Africa Plains I switched to 145 Barnes LRX and RL-17 powder. The LRX had a better BC and was supposed to run faster especially with the change to RL-17 powder. I wound up going from 2760 to 2844 in my rifle (22" Bbl.) and stayed about the same in the Camilla around 2770 in the Camilla (20" Bbl.). I bagged a nice mule deer in CO 475 yds across a canyon and my wife bagged Sable, Gemsbok and Blue Wildebeest all around 200 yds in Africa and all one-shot kills.