Barnes Bullets

I've shot every line of Barnes, the TTSX fixed the penciling issue but made the bullets stopping and deflections worse.
You can count on speed only so much to get a Barnes through an elk, if the frontal area is to great for the bullet mass to keep pushing it stops, either more mass or less frontal area is needed for consistent penetration on the toughest shots.

everything I have ever shot with these bullets seem to expire within a few steps of where I shot them. Hogs + Deer. Family members have had great experience with the TTSX and LRX on African game. Interesting thing is that I have never recovered a bullet. Exit holes are as big as my fist. I believe that this is the hardest hitting bullet on the market. That being said, I do still shoot Nosler AB, ABLR and Partitions, as well as Sierra Game Kings depending on what my rifle likes.

One other thing you should consider since these are monolithic bullets you will need to set them off the lands more than normal due to pressure associated with an all copper bullet.

What Caliber(s) are you shooting?

I have a couple of 280 AI's. Have not tried barnes in them as of yet. My Cooper loves 58 gr of IMR 4831 under a 140 Accubond with Fed 210's. 3150 FPS and 1" at 200 yards. Rifle has killed deer to 450 yards.

bigngreen: "When we were seeing 100-300 plus elk kills a season the first two seasons we saw a third of the bullets placed on front shoulders not penetrate into the chest cavity but stop or turn, I've done a mag dump on more elk when I was shooting Barnes than any other bullet, I though it was normal to have to hit elk repetitively till I started shooting heavy for cal cup and core or even heavy for cal copper in faster twist barrel, it was a stark change when I quite Barnes, every time I pulled the trigger elk just started wobbling and dropping no more running with front legs packing or windmilling, no more shooting and having them stand there like your just making noise. I still shoot them sometimes for deer and varmints but never again on heavy game!!"

Sorry for the confusion! Thought that I had the quote with my post!

Your experiences are certainly an anomaly! Perhaps you completely "bought-in" to the "speed kills" philosophy. While with a mono-bullet, you can (though I prefer not) drop a bit in bullet weight....you can "quickly" reach a point of diminishing returns. High velocity (light bullet), light bullet (less mass), violent expansion ( product of high velocity impact), when combined....equals less penetration.
Though.....even that fails to explain your abysmal failures. So.... we're back to "consistant", "repeated", anomaly!

Last edited:
The Barnes bullets aeem to have a lot of love/hate out there. When we designed our bullet we addressed the issues that come up with Barnes bullets and other mono copper bullets. The first thing we were after is the unpredictable preasure issues that are inherent with mono bullets. Barnes addressed this years ago by putting relief grooves in the bearing surface to reduce pressure. That helped but did not cure it. Then terminal performance without massive blood shot meat was top of our list.

Terminal performance was done by lots of trial and error. Finding the 99.8% pure copper alloy that has enough elasticity and softness to perform equally well at high and low vel (below 1800fps tested on all of our bullets) was much more difficult than we anticipated. Once we found this life was good.:). We always want the nose of our bullet to open to the depth of our hollow point and shed the petals. Our bullets will peal like a banana in usually 3-4 petals. Then the retained shank must have a flat fontal area that displaces soft tissue perpendicular to the direction of the bullet travel creating a pemanant wound channel all the way through the animal.

Our patented design that we named PDR (parabolic drag reduction) addressed the pressure issues that come from mono bullets. Copper is a harder material than lead and does not form to the bore of a rifle like lead to seal the bore. So the million $ question has always been what dia to make a mono bullet so that it will seal the bore but not create too much pressure. This is not a fit that can be close with copper bullets like it can with lead. Lead bullets squish when pressure builds in the chambe and makes them fit the bore. Easy. Not so easy with lead free bullets. Because of our PDR we can cut our bullets large enough to seal the varied bore dia, due to machining tolerances, and not have undue pressure increases. The radiused design creats a very finite contact in the grooves and creates enough rifling engagement to properly spin the bullet. The valleys in Hammer Bullets leave plenty of space for displaced copper to deposit.

Our parented PDR design straight up is the best design out there. Keeps pressure consistent and low. Eliminates seating depth intolerance that is typical with all other bullets and is super accurate. Hammer Bullets make factory rifles shoot so well it is difficult to justify the cost of custom rifles. Sounds like an outlandish car salesman statement but it isn't. We will back it up with a satisfaction guarantee or your money back warranty.

Steve

I'm not trying to be critical of your post nor am I trying to be critical of your grammar or English. I was simply asking the question as to where were the failures indicated in this thread?

I agree with your thought that "speed kills" can be a trap to fall into. I am of the mindset that it is accuracy and shot placement that kill. Fast Speed can be a byproduct of the result simply if the rifle shoots the bullet at that given speed to achieve that accuracy. Hence, I prefer shooting animals with an object that moves at 289fps with a 100 grain tip. Speed definitely does not play the role in whether or not the animal dies. It is shot placement.

To digress, please show me the failures you are alluding to in the thread?

Sorry to get off on a tangent. I was answering the question as to my opinion of the Barnes bullet.

I love them. They kill. They are accurate.

I use them in a 30-06, 270, 6.5-284, Jarrett 300.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts