Barnes Bullets and Copper Fouling?

General RE LEE

I've got a couple excellent loads I've worked up for my .308 and .30-06 with the 130 grain Barnes TTSX. I've spent some range time shooting them and wondered, do all copper bullets copper foul a bore quicker than a traditional cup and core bullet? I wasn't sure if my accuracy would degrade at a quicker rate with an all copper bullet.

Any experiences?

I cleaned my rifle this morning after 100 rounds of 143 hammers (140 hammers total on the barrel); 5 patches and carbon was gone, 3 patches and zero copper. The only copper I had seen in this rifle was bullet #1 down the barrel.
I then went out and test shot 9 pcs 180 Berger vld and 10 pcs Barnes lrx. It took a dozen patches to get rid of the carbon, roughly 15 patches and almost 2 hours to get rid of the copper. Test is done, this barrel won't see anything but hammers going forward.

after 100 hammers, ran a patch thru the muzzle brake too
IMG_4297.JPG

after 9 VLD and 10 LRX

IMG_4363.JPG

I wonder why the Hammers are leaving less copper?? It appears with relief cuts that they have less shank surface contacting barrel…….wonder if the copper in the Hammers is a different makeup than in Barnes…???

The original X Bullet had a reputation for fouling and high pressure issues. Some alloy changes, the addition of the grooves pretty much eliminated both. If your bore is good, likely your fouling will be no worse than any other bullet....maybe less! memtb