Barnes Bullet Bore staining

Tagnbagem

This is my first post to this forum. Great info, and a lot of people with a lot of helpful info.
I having been loading some Barnes tsx and ttsx bullets for. my 300 win mag.
these bullets shoot very well out of my 300. The issue is cleaning the gun after a day at the range. When I was cleaning the rifle the patches started coming out reddish brown, I use wipeout patchout with the accelerator, does a great job, it seems the copper has stained the whole bore and no matter how much I clean it will not come clean as it did before I started trying these bullets. I get no blue indicating coper or brown indicating carbon just brownish red. Have any of you guys found this after using Barnes bullets not sure wether to stop using them or is it normal? Thanks Ron

To be certain that I am clear....you used an ammonia based solvent, and the patches showed "no" blue! memtb
That is correct, there was no blue. I just got finished cleaning the guns, finally. I used wipeout patchout and the accelerator and a nylon bore brush. I am with the understanding that if you used gilded bullets and then go to all copper like Barnes you need to make sure your bore is absolutely clean. Which I thought they were but guess I was wrong.

That was always my understanding.....especially with the early Barnes'. It was once stated treat them as tho shooting cast bullets after guilded metal bullets. The bore needed to be "squeaky clean"....no guilded bullet material left in bore. "If" the bore was cleaned prior to using the Barnes'....I have no explanation. In fact, as far as I know, the only thing of note with shooting a Barnes after guilded bullets, was very poor accuracy....not the coloration you're seeing. Sorry, I can't be of any help. memtb

I used to shoot Barnes bullets because I do like there terminal performance on game but they copper fouled my barrels heavier than the Hornady GMX bullets so I switched to them same performance on game with less fouling at least in my barrels. Also you might try KG-12 Big Bore cleaner best copper remover I've ever used.

This from the manufacturer;

1.Copper will show up on the patch with a deep navy blue color.

2.Carbon will show up on a patch as the color brown.

3.Powder fouling will always be gray or black in color.

4. Molybdenum will show up as long black stripes ( it's coming off the bottom of the grooves)

I'd try something to cut the carbon - brake cleaner or carb cleaner. As far as 'firearm specific' products, KG-1 is good, even ole' Hoppes isn't bad.

Sometimes carbon is harder to remove than copper.

After several years I haven't found a barrel that KG1 followed by KG12 won't clean up. The results are always confirmed with a Hawkeye.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.