Barnes Ammo for Elk?

If I was hunting elk I would have to think the Barnes bullets would at the top of my choices.

I used some this past hunting season in a "lowly" 7.62x39 (shot from an AR platform) and have been super impressed in performance and accuracy!

Shot a doe head on at 100yds...out of 6 animals that was the only one that didn't pass through. But I had over 20" of penetration and no loss of bullet weight while travelling through bone the whole way.
20200105_182849.jpg

20200103_092956.jpg

I'm pointing to where the bullet stopped...

Shot a 120lb class hog almost directly head on and the bullet traveled down the sternum then deflected up through the heart and still exited the body cavity.

These bullets are tough to stop!

Last edited:
Barnes has put the Elk meat in the freezer for 20 years now. One from a 308 and 125gr shot completely through a cow quartering towards my son at 90 yds. My longest Elk taken with a muzzeloader was 332 yds, a Barnes 290gr TMZ pass through. Like another said they punch on through due to not shedding any weight so be careful of hitting another animal behind the one you plan to take.

After looking at some reviews and answers, what about Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 140 Grain TTSX Polymer Tipped Spitzer Boat Tail for elk? Does it have a enough knock down power? Thanks again!
I use 140 gr Barnes TSX on hogs. Recovered bullets have shown excellent expansion and penetration.

Has anyone used the 200 grain LRX? I was thinking about shooting this in my .300 norma mag

I've used Barnes TTXS 150 grain bullets , handloads in my 7mm RM , worked on 3 cow elk and one bull elk. Nothing moved more than 30 feet after they were hit. Ranges were 80 - 325 yds

Starting in 1994 using the then Barnes 6.5 120gr "X" then going to the 6.5 120 TSX when it came out. Using this combo we have taken numerous elk . Never even came close to losing an elk.. Having taken many elk years ago wth the partition & C&C bullets we have found the Barnes or other copper mono's to give phenomenal & consistent clear thru penetration. Even from acute angles from front or back. In all my years I see the copper mono's as the best elk bullet ever. Far surpassing the partition or bonded bullets. We do this with a 6.5 120gr. Again this past season our elk feel to one shot from a 6.5 using the Hammer 121gr. Complete penetration thru both shoulders. Think a 7mm `140TSX/145 LRX & you are now Godzilla capable...

After looking at some reviews and answers, what about Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 140 Grain TTSX Polymer Tipped Spitzer Boat Tail for elk? Does it have a enough knock down power? Thanks again!

Short answer, "Yes".

Although I don't hunt with factory ammo, I do hunt with Barnes MRX, TTSX and LRX. I've driven two of them lengthwise through mule deer, Took a cow elk at 400 with a .300WM/180g and it went about 5 steps. Have driven a 140g bullet through a cow at 400 yards with my 7mm RM. That bullet was a North Fork instead of a Barnes. but I'm confident that a Barnes would have worked just as well. We (my hunting group) runs right at 50% straight-down DRT with the various Barnes bullets we use.

Barnes has put the Elk meat in the freezer for 20 years now. One from a 308 and 125gr shot completely through a cow quartering towards my son at 90 yds. My longest Elk taken with a muzzeloader was 332 yds, a Barnes 290gr TMZ pass through. Like another said they punch on through due to not shedding any weight so be careful of hitting another animal behind the one you plan to take.
Correction it was 130gr TSX

Recent Posts