Barnes 30 cal 212 LRX

I don't know about koolaid but these are some long little missles!
I have to chuckle when people make definitive statements before even trying something..

I loaded one in a 300 PRC case and it's 3.900 oal.
I've got an 8 twist 30 Sherman in the works specifically to use this bullet, I'll run them in a CFE 9 box.
I'll bet the BC holds, hoping they shoot well
We'll see..
Here's a pic next to a 230 A tip, and 215 Berger
View attachment 186253
I haven't seen any on the shelves yet. Where did you get them? I'm curious on the min expansion, to see if that holds up.

idcwby

I haven't seen any on the shelves yet. Where did you get them? I'm curious on the min expansion, to see if that holds up.

idcwby
You can order direct from Barnes, they also offer a Military/LEO discount FYI.
I spoke with a tech rep for quite awhile and he shared extensive info on the 212 and all the testing they've done, they supposedly shoot really good with a ton of jump.
Apparently it was designed and tested for the military in the 300 NM, it was developed about 2 years ago.
Minimum expansion is 1500 fps, 1600 provides max expansion diameter.

I'm excited to give them a go for sure, who know's about the BC.. Litz is probably already claiming it's only .500 cuz we all know that only Berger gets it right :rolleyes:

I'm excited to give them a go for sure, who know's about the BC.. Litz is probably already claiming it's only .500 cuz we all know that only Berger gets it right :rolleyes:
That's backwards thinking, if Litz put out a bad BC that thousands of guys can't use that hurts his business, good numbers make better business that's why so many use his company!! Don't forget he lowered all of Berger's BC, accurate numbers win.

I have no doubt those bullet will open low, that's why I use them for small game and coyotes, they open on a fart but they don't shed weight so not lethal enough for larger game, they dang sure open though.

You can order direct from Barnes, they also offer a Military/LEO discount FYI.
I spoke with a tech rep for quite awhile and he shared extensive info on the 212 and all the testing they've done, they supposedly shoot really good with a ton of jump.
Apparently it was designed and tested for the military in the 300 NM, it was developed about 2 years ago.
Minimum expansion is 1500 fps, 1600 provides max expansion diameter.

How the testing go? Like them or hate them?

idcwby

What, no love for the Cutting Edge 240 grain Lazer ??
1.993" long, expands down to 1,200 feet, needs a 6 twist, and a .358 G7 AB

What, no love for the Cutting Edge 240 grain Lazer ??
1.993" long, expands down to 1,200 feet, needs a 6 twist, and a .358 G7 AB
The 6 twist is what's keeping me away from it.

I don't know about koolaid but these are some long little missles!
I have to chuckle when people make definitive statements before even trying something..

I loaded one in a 300 PRC case and it's 3.900 oal.
I've got an 8 twist 30 Sherman in the works specifically to use this bullet, I'll run them in a CFE 9 box.
I'll bet the BC holds, hoping they shoot well
We'll see..
Here's a pic next to a 230 A tip, and 215 Berger
View attachment 186253
Holy cow! How long is the throat in your chamber! That's a long round! Is your load compressed?
DocB

So, could this bullet be loaded in a .308 Norma on a Husky small ring commercial Mauser? I'm thinking probably not because the inside dimension (length) on the magazine is only 3 3/8". This rifle is in the process of being built. Any guidance on what the longest bullet is I could sensibly use in a magazine length of 3 3/8" would be appreciated. TIA.

Barnes make an excellent product, have used them for decades. If and when I get to reloading I will do a comparison of the 212LRX & 212 ELD-X. For right now, the latter is performing extremely well and I see no reason to reload or make a change. For a hunting rifle, 1/2" or better is good enough for me! My videos are not showing up when I attempt to upload, this morning on the steel target long range (out to 545). The Fierce was putting the hurt on those plates and animals…., the 13th can't come soon enough!!!!

It is hunting season, get out there and fill those freezers!!!

RR208

Attachments

• FD59ED85-09A9-429F-919B-212F5F83DFEC.jpeg
    FD59ED85-09A9-429F-919B-212F5F83DFEC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 91