Barnes 200 gr LRX 30 cal 300 wm

unclefish

Has anybody tried these on elk or mule deer .if so how many yards was shot. Wondering if anyone actually got to look at the entry hole and exit if it came out. If you have any pics can u post them . Thanks

Tagging in. Curious how these perform at longer range. I have asked this on a couple other forums as well. Not a lot of info out there. With California requiring all copper I would imagine it will drive more to follow and will get better info or we will be the "pioneers"...

I have experience with 168 ttsx. Cow elk around 400 yards. Two mule deer at 350 ish. All spectacular one shot drop dead in their tracks. I have the 175 and 200 lrx to load. If they shoot I will have great confidence in them . I also have some 7mm 145 for my 280AI. Haven't got them dialed in yet. My long way of saying I'm tagged in

Thanks for sharing . Same deal really can't find to much about them. Need Broz to do a test on these like he did the berger 215. Can't tell you how many times I have read that thread.

They shoot great out of my 30-06 and 270 and 243. LRX out of the 30-06 are great. I have a hard time spotting shots out beyond 500 yards on steel as they don't "splat" like lead...

I too have read the one by Broz...I had barely started pressure testing the 210s and by the end ordered 250 of the 215s...

Thanks for sharing . Same deal really can't find to much about them. Need Broz to do a test on these like he did the berger 215. Can't tell you how many times I have read that thread.
Unless you need to shoot the Barnes; (Lead free zone). I believe you should shoot the 215 Berger. You said it yourself, the amount of times you read the post by Broz. It is just a awesome bullet out of the 300 WM.

I did a lot of load work on a friends custom 300WM last fall with this bullet. Firearm was a Stiller predator action with a 22" Hart barrel built for a lightweight sheep rifle. The 200 lrx was the most accurate bullet tested out of probably a dozen combinations. Rifle shot consistent sub-moa out to 600 which about as far as he was comfortable with. His hunt last fall netted him a marco polo at 589 yards, an ibex at 430 (I think) and an Afghan urial at 300. All one shot hills and no bullet recovery.

I will be doing another workup on a different 300WM when it's completed this summer. I plan on testing bullet performance in water jugs out to 800 and perhaps further.

I have had very good luck with the barnes lrx bullets as well as the ttsx in many calibers and cartridges and will always include them when working up a load.

JM2C gun)

The 200gr LRX is what I am going to be hunting with this fall. This bullet is the one I have had the best luck with in load development for my 300 winmag. I have not been able to hunt with them yet but I hear good things from others who have. I am shooting out to 550 yards with mine, that is the distance at which I am comfortable, and am consistently shooting between a 4" and 5" group.

The 200gr LRX is what I am going to be hunting with this fall. This bullet is the one I have had the best luck with in load development for my 300 winmag. I have not been able to hunt with them yet but I hear good things from others who have. I am shooting out to 550 yards with mine, that is the distance at which I am comfortable, and am consistently shooting between a 4" and 5" group.

Load data? What rifle/scope you shooting?

I shoot a Savage 111 300 winmag 24" barrel with a Vortex Diamondback BDC 4x12x40. federal brass, wlrm primer, 62.5 grs H4350 seated at .050" from the lands. velocity is an average of 2810fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.