Barnes 168LRX tumbling or not?

They are definitely tumbling. But, that group in the center dot is a decent group considering they are tumbling. Usually the bullets will miss completely if they are tumbling. For some reason, your bullets are tumbling right before they hit the target, which leads me to believe that they are somewhat stabilized for the most part, but at the target, they are under the minimum velocity right before hitting the target. If they weren't stabilizing due to incorrect twist in the barrel, they would start tumbling long before the target, and would probably miss it completely. Try to chrono the load.

I'll be loading some more seated at 3.350 coal and increasing powder charge. Rifle is fine and shoots other bullets without issue.

If they won't stabilize at your current velocity in your 1 in 8 twist upping your velocity will help but then you're just getting by on stability. Better to use a fully stabilized bullet than a marginal one. That's a hunting bullet so I assume you intend to shoot big game with it. If it's only marginally stable in the air how's it going to perform when it impacts game? I like Barnes bullets when I need straight and deep penetration on game but if they tumble in game animals then they can't perform as designed. I'd go with a different weight Barnes or something else.

In my opinion a 168 bullet in a 8 twist 7mm that won't stabilize theres something wrong with the bullet, barrel or its running way to slow.

I had an issue with the 168's in a 7mag I built. the guy I built it for shot maybe 300 or so of them with no issues had a great load for it. He ran out of his supply and bought a few more boxes, this was about a year after I built the rifle. He loaded up the new 168's and they all tumbled we tried bullets from every box with same results. Barrel was a 1-8" twist 5r chambered in 7mag, I was dumb founded, I took the rifle back and cleaned it really well and tried again. The barrel Could not stabilize the new lot of bullets. Cleaning the barrel made no difference and the throat and rifling all looked good. He switched to the 145LRX and has never had an issue since. I have never found an answer as to why this happened.

I think what people are forgetting is that these 168 LRX's require a minimum of an 8 twist. If you're at a low elevation like me min twists rarely work.

Barnes bullets being made of copper makes them long for thier weight. Barnes website says thier 168gr LRX is 1.592" long and requires a minimum 1 in 8 twist. My 175gr Nosler ABLR is only 1.538" long. My Savage 7RM with a 1 turn in 9.5" stabilizes the Nosler just fine.

This is the S.G on bergers twist calculator running a 195 at 2950, I shoot 55 bergers in a 20 cal and the S.G is only 1.2 in a 9 twist that shoot awesome at long range

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-152744_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-152744_Chrome.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 67
I was just stating that barrel did stabilize the bullets until he bought more after about a year. I still think the bullet was changed and this is why it would not stabilize it any longer. I dont think it had anything to do with the rifle, i have never seen a barrel loose stability like that which made me think it was the bullets.

The Berger 195 is 1.64" long and I know guys who shoot them in a 8.5 twist
That may be but what was their elevation and barrel brand? Some have a known gain twist.

Im just saying that I have two identical barrels in 300 RUM That will not stabilize a 181 Hammer nor the 178 Absolute hammer. The 10 twist was verified and they land on target just like the OP's. No matter how fast they were going.

I also have a 22-250 Ackley 8 twist that does the same thing with 75 grain bullets.

What difference does barrel brand make?
All I can tell you is bullets under 1.5 S.G will stabilize, most BR shooters i know prefer a S.G down at or close to 1.5.
Now alot of throat wear will make a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.