Barnes 145gr LRX Load Data

PaHuntin

I am about to start the load development process in my STW trying out the 145gr LRXs.

Where have you guys been able to find load data for the LRX?
With the 145gr LRX can I start off using the 150gr TSX/TTSX load data in Barnes Manual?

The powders I have to start working with are
7828ssc
RL-22
RL-25
H-1000
Retumbo

Looking for any input you guys can provide with this bullet.

Thanks!

You are definitely in the right place...

I wish I could help, but unfortunately I use 160gr+ bullets. However, there are a number of regulars on here who have an unparralleled knowledge with the Barnes bullets. One should be along shortly to assist you.

I am about to start the load development process in my STW trying out the 145gr LRXs.

With the 145gr LRX can I start off using the 150gr TSX/TTSX load data in Barnes Manual?

7828ssc
RL-22
RL-25
H-1000
Retumbo

Thanks!

PA, the short answer, is that I didn't have text info when I started using this bullet. I simply picked up where RL22 stops, and up'ed the charge, while looking for pressure, and watching the chrono. What I noticed about this bullet, was it was accurate with any charge weight up to the point that I decided I was happy with my accuracy, pressure, and speed. Another thing, is that this bullet nearly has the mass of a 160 grain bullet. So when you have a BC of .486, and the mass of a cup and core 160, and 3440 fps, how can you go wrong? Actually, when I developed the original load, I was using Federal brass. My velocity was running right at 3406-3410. The brass was worn out, so I switched to some brass that I was sitting on, which is A Square brass. When loaded in that brass, velocity jumped to 3440, very consistently.
I'm very impressed with them, and I must sound like a poster boy, when I talk of them, but they do everything I have asked of them.
But, and there is always a but, as with any mono bullet, frequent barrel cleaning is a must. Get the good stuff! I now use Montana extreme bore cleaner. That stuff is the cats ***!!! Also Butches Bore shine works well too! The other thing is, that when you are developing your load, if you get a little bit too zealous with the powder charge, you will get spikes pretty quick. I am running Federal 215 GM primers. Winchester WLRM primers are also a good option as well. Good luck in your search.

I bought a new barreled action last year 7mm weatherby mag I was lookng on website and noticed riffling had changed to 8.5 inch twist so I called them they clarified it, but short comming I would up hand loading and just out of blue the thought well the longer bullet should be best in stability so I tried the lrx ttsx 71 gr mrp at 27 27 ogive set it can shoot out the bullets holes useing 215gold metal match primer no current factory rounds would group so if you have one and it doest group that well it could be the same as I have , and I noticed they have changed back to 1.10 inch twist on Web site , they must have thought it would stabilize the heavier rounds I couldn't see this in my rifle in a faster twist the lower bullet will stabilize but in a heavy bullet you need to slow it down if it's a short style comparing to the lrx style , berger s may work well also or the new accubond long range bullet for me I'm not given up round i have with the lrx Barnes

If anyone is still looking this is what I'm shooting
Barnes 140 TSX
81.5 gr RL 25
OAL 3.640 (case head to bullet tip)
OAL till bullet is hard into rifling 3.805, I assume this is a std SAAMI chamber

7828ssc
RL-22
RL-25
H-1000
Retumbo

Thanks!
I just finished my second round to my ladder test for the 145LRX in my 7mm Weatherby mag. My findings are reloader 22 - 72.7gr shot one" group on moderately windy day and 73 gr reloader 22 shot a nice clover half inch group at 100 yds. Still need some fine tuning on seating. 3.40 inches overall. I'm not positive of the velocity yet. I have to chronograph it. Another contender was 70.9 gr. we reloader 22 shot an inch group but could be shooter error. I may have covid and my eyes are a little cloudy. but I think it's about 100 ft./s slower than the others. I'm gonna make up a couple more to fine-tune it but she's definitely a good recipe. Good luck.

If anyone is still looking this is what I'm shooting
Barnes 140 TSX
81.5 gr RL 25
OAL 3.640 (case head to bullet tip)
OAL till bullet is hard into rifling 3.805, I assume this is a std SAAMI chamber
Bob, long time since we spoke last, but your load is almost exactly whst mine was, and it was lazer accurate, and whitetail lightening at any distance. Gotta love RL25. 🐃

Bob, long time since we spoke last, but your load is almost exactly whst mine was, and it was lazer accurate, and whitetail lightening at any distance. Gotta love RL25. 🐃

Hope you're doing well STW. Yea, I hit the lotto and bought 10# of '25 today.
I was having trouble with the rifle a few months ago and ended up spending a week with jb's, CLR, and a bunch of brushing; I'm assuming hard carbon buildup. It's shooting .3 - .5 now with that load from bare metal to shot 15. Loving it. Thanks for all the advise over the years.

Hope you're doing well STW. Yea, I hit the lotto and bought 10# of '25 today.
I was having trouble with the rifle a few months ago and ended up spending a week with jb's, CLR, and a bunch of brushing; I'm assuming hard carbon buildup. It's shooting .3 - .5 now with that load from bare metal to shot 15. Loving it. Thanks for all the advise over the years.
Always a pleasure. Yeah man, I'm still kicking, shooting and hunting. I'll do that til I die, even from a wheel if that ever happens
Glad you got that barrel clean. Today's powders leave a terrible carbon signature. The CLR, is now in my regiment as well. Your combo is a killer for sure. Two of mine shot that same load to many a demise of whitetail. All the best my friend.

7828ssc
RL-22
RL-25
H-1000
Retumbo

Thanks!
Barnes has good data on their website.

Alliant doesn't show bullets this light but you can derive some starting numbers from there and move up.

Here's some other data.

Keep in mind the Barnes will run at higher velocities and lower pressures than a conventional cup and core load so there's some room to maneuver there.

Last edited:

Recent Posts