Barnes 145 LRX vs 162 ELDX

Just chiming in again.Working up loads for the 145 LRX. Groups were poor with 80.5 and 80.7grns of IMR 7828. Groups were amazing with 81 grains. I then loaded 81.3 and 81.6, scattered groups. But... at 81.9 and 82.2, groups are again amazing. I'm tempted to keep climbing but if accuracy good enough at 82.2, I should probably stop there to help my rifle's throat. Next, I'll try that load at 300 yds.Anyone see something wrong with my thinking, please chime in.My Elk hunt is in November.
My experience with the 145 lrx: once I found a relative accurate velocity node the load really tightened up with seating depth changes. For me that happened to be 3370 fps out of a factory 7mm weatherby.

My experience with the 145 lrx: once I found a relative accurate velocity node the load really tightened up with seating depth changes. For me that happened to be 3370 fps out of a factory 7mm weatherby.
That's real fast I use 72 gr reloader 22 with 145lrx and get and 3200. I might be able to push it but that's the sweet spot when my barrel.

The ELDx is a soft bullet & very explosive. I had it destroy huge amounts of venison. Would never consider it for elk , except on rib cage shot "ONLY". Experienced elk hunters know you will not always be presented with a classic broadside rib cage shots like you seen in the magazines. Many times elk are facing toward you or away from you at extreme angles. This is where you want a homogeneous copper bullets for maximum penetration thru dense muscle & bone. . The brand is not important, what ever shoots in your rifle. I have been using mostly Barnes 6.5 "X" & now TSX/TTSX since 1994. Also used Hammer, & Badlands Precision. They all work. We take elk every year & the copper mono's have never failed us, never. Why use a deer bullet like the ELDx for elk? Makes no sense to me. I will never shoot them ( ELDx) again even for deer. The ELDx has a catchy name that sells. I hunt for meat not horns. The copper monos will destroy little meat , even when bone is struck. If your shooting a 7mm just use the standard 140gr TSX/TTSX. They will give you superior performance, total penetration even on angled shots.

Can anyone share their experience with the terminal performance of the ELDX on mule deer or elk? I am interested in the 162 ELDX due to its SD and BC. I am very familiar with and trust the Barnes. Just trying to learn about the ELDX. Planning to be capable out to 600 yds. Thanks in advance for any help. Weatherby Accumark 7 STW 1 in 10 twist.
I would also like to know about this, the 127lrx is amazingly accurate in my 6.5cm I have 145lrx for my 7mag but I picked up 2 boxes of 162ELDX yesterday for the 7mag

I shot the 145 eld-x for a few seasons out of my 270 wsm. 3150 fps. Explosive! Really hard on meat. I think if you can slow them down to 2800 starting velo and then hitting an animal at 200 plus yds it is probably a decent bullet. But it didn't work for me. I have since switched to the 140 tsx at 3188. Works great on mule deer and elk. I don't shoot it past 400 yds as I keep 170 grain Berger EOL'S in my pack for long range work. But for 400 yds and in the Barnes peel back in 4 classic petals and my 1:8 twist spins them like a blender through the vitals. Very effective. If you can get the 160 tsx up to 3100 fps I'm sure they will work but I would aim for bone. Don't avoid it. The more resistance, the better.

I tested the ELDX's from my granddaughter's 6.5 Creed.....and found it very fragile or explosive! I would not suggest anyone hunting with them, unless the shooter has enough self-restraint to attempt only perfect shot placement! memtb

I would also like to know about this, the 127lrx is amazingly accurate in my 6.5cm I have 145lrx for my 7mag but I picked up 2 boxes of 162ELDX yesterday for the 7mag
Get them all to shoot do you never know when they'll be a shortage my 7B I started with a 150 LTTSGet them all to shoot do you never know when they'll be a shortage my 7B I started with a 150 tsx Ben the 145 LRX and the 140 vld
And yesterday I shot the 168 vld my ladder Test got me two real nice bullets that I'm going to test for a final. I may not hunt with the 168 but at least I know I could use it if I had to.

OP, in my 7 STW with IMR 7828 and fed 215's, the 145g was very accurate at 3500 fps and you will be happy with the results, also with the 140g ttsx.

I don't see the down side with the ELD-X, unless you have a quartering shot coming or going.

Also, NEVER discount the 175g Sierra btsp that thinks it is a partition, this is a premier elk bullet~!

My family and I swear by Barnes. Wr have used TSX and TTSX for ever. Only complain happened this year on a broadside shot out of a 270 WSSM with Barnes TTSX. 3 Lung shots, one gut. All had exits(very small) just coming off of covod pneumonia, the 325 yard tracking sucked and bleed mostly internally.

Advice, fast shooting guns with Barnes, take out the shoulders, then they drop.

My family and I swear by Barnes. Wr have used TSX and TTSX for ever. Only complain happened this year on a broadside shot out of a 270 WSSM with Barnes TTSX. 3 Lung shots, one gut. All had exits(very small) just coming off of covod pneumonia, the 325 yard tracking sucked and bleed mostly internally.

Advice, fast shooting guns with Barnes, take out the shoulders, then they drop.

You talking about elk or deer?

I use the 162 in my 280ai to kill over 69 bull elk and 40 deer from 25 yrds out to 600 never had to use a second shot always get an exit and never had an animal go more then 40 yrds quite a few were drt put it behind the shoulder take out the vitals and it's a dead animal

The ELDx is a soft bullet & very explosive. I had it destroy huge amounts of venison. Would never consider it for elk , except on rib cage shot "ONLY". Experienced elk hunters know you will not always be presented with a classic broadside rib cage shots like you seen in the magazines. Many times elk are facing toward you or away from you at extreme angles. This is where you want a homogeneous copper bullets for maximum penetration thru dense muscle & bone. . The brand is not important, what ever shoots in your rifle. I have been using mostly Barnes 6.5 "X" & now TSX/TTSX since 1994. Also used Hammer, & Badlands Precision. They all work. We take elk every year & the copper mono's have never failed us, never. Why use a deer bullet like the ELDx for elk? Makes no sense to me. I will never shoot them ( ELDx) again even for deer. The ELDx has a catchy name that sells. I hunt for meat not horns. The copper monos will destroy little meat , even when bone is struck. If your shooting a 7mm just use the standard 140gr TSX/TTSX. They will give you superior performance, total penetration even on angled shots.
When used at close range /high velocity yes they will fragment Hornady admits that they are a LONG RANGE projectile the stated g7 b.c for the eld x is for 800 yrds
So yes long range bullets fired at high velocities at close range WILL fragment has nothing to do with being a bad bullet it's using a long range bullet for the wrong application /range
The federal terminal accent will do everything a Barnes will at longer range and retain 80% of it's weight