Barnes 145 grain LRX bullets

Forrest Ebert

Has anyone loaded these pills for the 7mm-08? If so would you be kind enough to share your load data?
Thank you for your results.

:D

i have been testing them in a couple different guns one being my sons 7mm08. we are shooting them behind rl-15 43 grs we started at 39 and worked up to that and rl19 we used 51 grs and started at 48. the rl19 i got .75 groups at 100yds and the rl15 we got .45 at 100yds gun)

Thank you Elktaxi 1 for your info. I loaded some up with BLC2 powder per Barnes suggestion with different col. and got some good results. You didn't chrono any of your loads? I got a little over 2800 with the most accurate loads and I got into the high 2800's with an ok load.

yea i do chrono my loads i have a custom rem 721 action with a 25in barrel anyway i push mine right at 3000 with the rl15 and 2959 with the rl19. i seat the bullets way out boat tail at the bottom of the neck.

I had the col starting at 2.8", 2.775" & 2.750" for my first session. I'm going to try the RL15 & RL19 along with some 2000MR powder which is just a bit faster than the RL15 supposed to be for med.-heavy 308 loads but I have used it in some other calibers and works very well . I'm testing these in my Fathers rifle as it is a Mauser action with a 26" barrel so I should be getting the same results or close to what you are getting. I'll let you know after this weekend if it doesn't rain too much?

gun)

I'm loading 46.5 gr IMR 4350 - RP 9 1/2 primer - LRX 145 gr in Hornady once fired brass (trimmed) - 2.78 COL

.70" four shot group @ 107 yds. - 95+ deg. amb. -barrel hot

I worked this load up from 44.0 gr in .5 gr increments up to 48 gr.

48 gr was the most accurate load but showed signs of high pressure

Sorry - no chrono - I think it got too hot in the sun.

Good shooting.

I'm currently working on the same set up only with varget. I did find a good load w/ the 150 ttsx and 39gr of varget. So far no luck w/ the 145lrx. Loading them to max mag lenght.

its by far the most accurate load I have for my 708. 42.6 grains of Varget in Nos FL sized brass with CCI 200 primer, seated 2.199 CBTO (can't recall what the COAL is). Shots .4 MOA to 300 yrds even with a hot dirty bbl. Dings the steel plate all day long at 500 yrds.

HOWEVER, I am a bit of a skeptic on the effectiveness on game, relative to other bullets. Seems Speer, Hornady and Nosler bullets put the animals down more resolutely. When dressing an antelope last Oct, the lungs were shot perfectly, but I would have liked to have seen much more organ destruction. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.