Banking Issues for both Gunsmiths and Gun Owners...

Rustystud

I have been doing machine and gunsmith work for forty plus years. I got my FFL and started doing others work officially in January 2005. I accepted cash, checks and money orders for payment for parts and services. Never had a problem depositing my customers checks. My local bank of 50 years was sold to a large national bank. The personal service has suffered they want to sell you something at every corner. Recently went to a First Citizens Bank, I identified my self and said I am in the firearms industry is that a problem. The banker said "no problems", and I opened both a personal and business account. The banker said she would look into getting me a "Merchant Account" (credit card processing service). After three weeks the banker told me that First Citizens Bank would not offer me a Merchant Account. The reason(s) were 1. "I am in the gun business". 2. "I conduct non face to face transactions". 3. "I don't have a store front operation". Not having a Merchant Account effects you as a customer as much or more than it does me as a vendor. I have since closed my accounts with First Citizens Bank. In search for another bank and Merchant Account I have found that there is a Consortium of Banks and Merchant Account services that are choosing to not do business with Federal Firearms dealers. This is a result of President Obama's and Eric Holders Operation Choke Point. I and many Federal Firearms dealers are completely frustrated with this problem. I urge every gun owner to contact your bank and see what their policies are regarding firearms purchases and weather the offer Merchant Services to FFLs. I would appreciate your posting your findings and lets see if we get consistent findings. I know Bank of America, City Bank, Chase Bank, PNC, First Citizens, BB&T, Wells Fargo, SunTrust, to name a few are not Firearms or Firearms Industry Friendly. In order to personally deal with this I am going to quit taking checks, or credit cards drawn from these banks and Merchant Accounts. Accepting only Cash, Checks and Credit Cards from Firearms Friendly (institutions) or Postal Money Orders. If enough of us become educated on the matter we can move our accounts or refuse to accept payment from these banks and Merchant Accounts and they may wake up. As they say money talks. I understand this is going to be an inconvenience to both myself and my customers. I may loose some customers, so be it that means the others will get their rifles back sooner. I hope other Firearms Industry businesses with join this effort.
Nat Lambeth​

Sadly this has been an issue for several years. You may want to check with McMillan Merchant Solutions. McMillan started this company after its bank fired them as a customer for their firearms related businesses.

And somehow these liberal, anti-gun bozos continue to be elected. Lets not allow this liberal patronists movement to continue. The banking industry jumped on the bandwagon only for profit, not their morals.

Big banks are the problem period. Not only gun discrimination, but the mortgage crisis a few years ago too. My mortgage is from a small local bank. One day making a payment I noticed my gunsmith making a deposit. That's good enough for me.

I can't understand why the American consumer cannot see the need to support small businesses. I can proudly say I am willing to pay a few extra pennies per item to support family owned stores.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.