Banish brand suppressor?

Tgunz64

finally thinking about starting the process fairly soon on my first suppressor. Any thoughts on the Banish from Silencer Central (formerly Dakota Silencer)? It's a big chunk of money to spend on a tin can but I'd like one for use from 22-30cal and this one fits the bill. Plus you can buy end caps with smaller bores to help out. Also open to other brands as well. Thanks!

finally thinking about starting the process fairly soon on my first suppressor. Any thoughts on the Banish from Silencer Central (formerly Dakota Silencer)? It's a big chunk of money to spend on a tin can but I'd like one for use from 22-30cal and this one fits the bill. Plus you can buy end caps with smaller bores to help out. Also open to other brands as well. Thanks!
I have the Varminter 4.0 from Dakota Silencer (Central Silencer) which they now market as the Banish 30. I have been extremely happy with it so far...Well built, light and quiet. Yes, it's not cheap, but it was my "one can to rule them all" choice. In my case, I have two "local" companies who make top-notch suppressors (Mack Brothers, who make the Varminter/Banish, and Lane) and I wanted to support a hometown business, and it was a difficult choice as they both make top-notch cans. I'm going to pick up at least one of the caliber-specific end caps for my Varminter. I thought this test was interesting (full disclosure--test was done by Dakota Silencer): https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/largest-30-caliber-silencer-testing-event-ever/

TBAC is better only if you want full-auto capability. I couldn't care less about that, and the vast majority of shooters feel the same way. For the aspects most people care about in a suppressor, the Banish is better.

Yeah, right. For example, The Banish 30 (7" configuration) weighs 9 oz. TBAC says its Ultra 30 weighs 9.7 oz., but that is only in the QD (they call it "CB") configuration, which no one seeking maximum accuracy is going to get. If you want a TBAC 30 in direct thread, it weighs 11.5 oz.

Then there is the wonderful option with the Banish of screwing on the extra two inches of sleeve, which adds 2 baffles, for extra noise reduction.

I'll take the Banish any day, even if it cost a little more. For something that important, non-exchangeable that comes with an 11-month lead time, I'm not going to worry about a few dollars this way or that, but the Banish also costs a little less than the TBAC.

Last edited:
Normally I don't engage anonymous tough guys on the internet, but it's a slow Monday morning so I will bite.

First of all, your statement that TBAC is for full auto. That is just ignorant and flat out wrong. TBAC cans are good for a lot of things but full auto is not one of them. TBAC cans are designed from the ground up for precision rifle applications. They are made from 6-4 Titanium which has a great strength/weight ratio but is far from ideal for the heat generated by full auto. If you want full auto capability, buy a stainless steel can.

Second, you seem to be implying that direct thread is desirable for "maximum accuracy." Again that is also demonstrably false. The CB TOMB system provides a conical mating surface which locks up tighter and more precisely than direct thread. TBAC isn't alone in using a conical mating surface (Q also uses them, for example), but the advantages are well documented.

So your justification for the superiority of the Banish 30 over the TBAC Ultra 7 is 0.7oz? Never mind the fact that the TBAC has a fully welded baffle core which allows it to run higher pressure cartridges, including any 30 cal super mag out there (300 RUM, 300 Norma, 300 Lapua). The Banish 30 is only rated to 300 Weatherby if I recall correctly.

Then there is the whole caliber-specific endcap nonsense. Banish claims a significant dB drop by using a smaller endcap for smaller calibers, despite the fact that the entirety of the baffle stack is still 308 cal. This is straight up marketing BS that has been disproven by Mil-Std-1474D-compliant testing.

The Banish is only available in 5/8-24 threads. What if I want larger diameter threads, or a metric thread pattern for a Sako TRG? Out of luck.

I don't mean to be hating on the Banish. The Mack brothers are high integrity and they make great stuff. Their cans have a lot of cool features. I do however take exception to your combination of arrogance and ignorance.

So your justification for the superiority of the Banish 30 over the TBAC Ultra 7 is 0.7oz? Never mind the fact that the TBAC has a fully welded baffle core which allows it to run higher pressure cartridges, including any 30 cal super mag out there (300 RUM, 300 Norma, 300 Lapua). The Banish 30 is only rated to 300 Weatherby if I recall correctly.

No, my justification for the superiority of the Banish 30 over the TBAC Ultra 7 is 2.5 oz (according to both mfgrs' published figures -- read my previous post again), plus the Banish's capability of instantly converting to a 9" suppressor. You can use it in 7" for hunting and 9" on the bench.

Since I have zero desire to shoot any 30-cal rifle with more powder than, say, a 300 Win. Magnum, the 300 Weatherby Magnum limitation of the Banish is no limitation at all for me.

So yes, the TBAC is superior in one way (the ability to shoot super-powerful 30-cal loads) -- It is just not a way that matter to me, or to most shooters. 2.5 oz of weight does matter to most shooters, and the ability to switch from 9" to 7" without having to buy another suppressor matters to most shooters. TBAC will sell you a 7", and/or a 9". With the Banish you get both in one.

Then there is the whole caliber-specific endcap nonsense. Banish claims a significant dB drop by using a smaller endcap for smaller calibers, despite the fact that the entirety of the baffle stack is still 308 cal. This is straight up marketing BS that has been disproven by Mil-Std-1474D-compliant testing.

You don't have to buy the extra 6.5mm end-cap available with the Banish 30 if you don't think it will help. For .223 and smaller I use my Banish 223. I haven't compared a 308 end-cap with the 6.5mm end-cap when shooting 6.5mm or smaller bullets so I can't say how much, if any, difference the smaller end-cap makes, but logic tells me it is going to make at least a slight difference. It is not a feature that figures into my comparison analysis.

The Banish is only available in 5/8-24 threads. What if I want larger diameter threads, or a metric thread pattern for a Sako TRG? Out of luck.

I know SC makes an adaptor that gets you down to 1/2-28. I would imagine they can have Mack Bros. make any adaptor you want. But even if not, all the choices I ever need are 5/8" and 1/2", and again, that goes for the vast majority of shooters.

So to me the comparison analysis is obvious -- unless you want to shoot a 30-cal rifle larger than a 300 Weatherby Mag, you want an unusual thread pattern or you want to shoot full-auto (with something other than TBAC), the Banish is clearly superior.

You might also learn to debate without spewing insults, when you grow up.

Last edited:
Care to address your false statements regarding full auto and the superiority of direct thread vs. conical mounts?

Sorry if I was harsh but I have little patience for people who make things up and then spread it around on the internet like it's fact.

Care to address your false statements regarding full auto and the superiority of direct thread vs. conical mounts?

Full auto? Sorry, I thought TBAC offered a full-auto suppressor.

As to DT vs. QD, I was speaking from my personal experience, but I would also note that the same is the reported experience of many can owners. But the QD unquestionably adds considerable weight. After owning both systems, I will never buy another "conical mount" suppressor, as you call it, regardless of whether accuracy is the same, so to me how "accurate" TBAC's conical mounts are is immaterial.

QD certainly might be important to some people, but the great majority of the can owners I know say the same thing I do -- they won't buy another one.