ballistics program suggestions

5Redman8

Dave,

Not really sure what is available as far as features. I have looked at quickload and it seems to do everything I want but I thought there may be better programs. So far reloading, I have stuck with manuals and reading forums for what manuals do not cover. I would like info on what is available and what is better about each program.

Thanks,
Kyle

Quickload is pretty good to get started. One of the good things about it are the preloaded bullet files for most commercial bullets. You can get output in Mildots for S&B scopes. For well parameterized cartridges like .308 Win, the Quickload will give realistic velocities that you then carry forward to the trajectory calc.

If you get more into specific equations later, you can check out the JBM ballistics site. He has free code, plus references to books like R. McCoy's Exterior Ballistics

looking to buy ballitics software and was looking for suggestions of which one to get and where to get it???

Thanks,
Kyle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>JBM,

Would you concider adding a link?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adding a link to what?

Adding a link to your web page that is.
smile.gif

I like the RSI Shooting Lab program best for a desktop computer, Exbal for a PDA type.

Quickload's a nice program if you are interested in internal ballistics. I think it probably does the best job at over any other out there on the market... RSI get's top vote for exterior ballistics software though.

I'll second Brents suggestion... for a desk top or laptop, the RSI shooting lab program is the best.

If you only have access to the web, go with Brad's JBM online program.

For my PDA I use Pejsa's and it works ok.

I've been able to chronograph my .308 out to 500 yards now a very percise 100 yards increments using two CED Millennium chronographs. Once I had my zero, 100, 200 & 300 yards velocities, the RSI shooting lab predicted my velocities dead on at 400 & 500 yards (+/- 3' per second) to my actual recorded results.

I'm hoping to get time to shoot out to 600 & 700 yards this summer through my chronographs to see what results I get.

Jeff,

Jim didn't indicate it on the site, but he added to the "DROP" from bore line column an "MOA" output option in the latest release version after I bugged him for it so I can figure incline/decline firing solutions more quickly using the Sierra method.

I use it to find the average difference in "MOA" between DROP and PATH from about 300-1000 yards. Keeping this number in your head, one can add this to the exact MOA correction in the field if need be and not have to fiddle with calculating what the bore line drop is at what ever range in order to find an accurate number to work in the incline/decline correction formula.

All this does for the guy looking for the most accurate method to determine a correction on angled fire shots is eliminate the need to carry an addition drop chart with them that is actual drop from the "extended bore line".

Jim made some corrections to the "CANT" calculations too, as Dave and I were breaking code while running numbers on 90 degree cant situations with a near zero. I still haven't looked to see if he was able to completely correct the errors that resulted using a near zero instead of a far zero in combination with such an extreme cant condition.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.