ballistics for a 32 inch barrelled .338

My next personal project is a 338 Win so I get what your trying to do, I also love pulling out a 308 but is running 215 Bergers and absolutely crushes at 1000+, I really like maximizing smaller chambering and finding their long range sweet spot BUT I can not make sense of the bullet choices, the bullet is absolutely the key to getting performance, what you have are absolute BRICKS ballistically without the speed to cover for that. Running the numbers even a 6.5 Creedmore with a 147 ELDM has less drift than your selected bullets even running hard. Now switch up to a bullet like a 250 Berger ya you'll loose some velocity but the ballistic gain is outstanding especially at longer ranges.
I'm wrapping a similar build around the 250 Berger for long ranges and the 213 Hammer Hunter for closer stuff so I can maximize the smaller chambering!!

I agree....terrible choice in bullets based on what is available.

I have shot well enough to have set two worlds records at long distance.

Very cool!!! Please share some details!!đź‘Ť

Hello, this rifle is a series of composite pieces being shipped me, plus what I already have on hand. With an 800 yard range and these damnable breezes here at 6,500 feet. I will let the longer range targets 5-6-7-800 yards tell me which bullet this barrel likes. The "bricks" you mention are the bullets most hunters use with this caliber. If they won't tend to move a lot laterally at 500 yards I may well use them. Much of this researching will depend on the real velocities this barrel is capable of. The weapon will only be used for early morning and late afternoon stands, either with a DeathGrip tripod or Atlas bipod.

The guy with the 338 Lapua Improved,, who designed the 747 as the chief of Aeronautics for Boeing. His patents on variable powered scopes put his three sons through college. Paul Rubbert usually had three different gunsmiths working on various projects at once. Firing that Monster of a 338LI in its huge BAT Action and barrel , and seeing 5 shot, tiny groups using the 300 Bergers was impressive. Look him up on Google. I miss him everyday. His knowledge and use of aerodynamics in physics was special, whereas mine were geared to the biomechanical aspects of the anatomy of my patients.

WW

I'm from Southern Minnesota where deer are hunted with a shotgun and slugs. My first western hunt in Wyoming for deer and antelope was incredible in exposing me to longer ranges of 2-300 yards.
I know from this site that Hammer bullets have a fine reputation.
WW

Hello Ruffian,
You have chosen the 338 Win mag for hunting and that is the same reasoning I used. Components are coming in and should start arriving this coming week. The gunsmith gets to choose which stock I have ; a prone stock with full length alloy bedding block(?) . I intend to lengthen the fi orend so the bipod is better positioned due to balance , OR a very longrange benchrest stock made by Master Class which has been bedded for a Stolle action and heavy bull barrel already. Some members here have been so kind as to supply me with potential data., so I do not waste a long, hook rifled barrel in trying to find out what really makes it tick. The 800 yard rifle range which is close to our ranch should provide real answers at 400-800 yards with the crazy winds at 6,500 feet as to which of many bullets I will be receiving works best. If the alluded to .338 "bricks" are extremely accurate, so be it. If the 250 grain Hammers are better overall they will be used! Targets only tell the truth, even though you might not like what you are reading when you are looking at them.

I live at 6000 ft, the wind blows, winds is everyone's nemesis so I cheat steel and borrow to get an edge on it. A 250 Berger at 2850 has 1.3 LESS moa of drift at 800 than a 200 gr AB at 3100 fps and the AB is below the impact velocity where they open reliably on elk while the 250 Berger is well inside it's operating range having put them on elk and deer in those ranges. I'm a huge Hammer fan, I usually have some Hammer loads worked up but even with the velocity gain with them you have to be a little mindful to keep them in their sweet spot. The only thing that is important is putting a bullet dead on the spot your aiming and have it open but shooting is mountain winds I'm more than happy to grab a BC advantage when my velocity advantage erodes!!

Yeah- bigngreen supplied real factual data , ballistic comparison-250 versus 200 gr. with substantial velocity gain at muzzle but , about 11 inches more wind drift at 800 yards. Others have hinted at this, but this is reliable data!
WW