Ballistics comparison

oneluckypops

Ok this information was obtained from the 5th edition nosler reloading guide, While there are other bullet weight and selections available I tried to use an apples to apples comparison. Do you all think this is a fair comparison?

I am not sure what to think about the "optimal game weight rating"

Attachments

• Ballistics1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 93
  • Ballistics2.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
It looks like a good data-set to compare cartridges.

One thing to keep in mind, don't forget to compare the efficiency of the cartridge. Look at the amount of powder it takes to get a certain level of performance. For example, the 300win mag is about 109fps faster than the 300wsm for the ballistic tip (about 3.4%). It takes 14.5gr more powder (23% more), to gain that 3% velocity improvement. Every grain of powder generates heat, erodes the throat, causes more recoil and costs more $ to load.

AJ

It looks like a good data-set to compare cartridges.

One thing to keep in mind, don't forget to compare the efficiency of the cartridge. Look at the amount of powder it takes to get a certain level of performance. For example, the 300win mag is about 109fps faster than the 300wsm for the ballistic tip (about 3.4%). It takes 14.5gr more powder (23% more), to gain that 3% velocity improvement. Every grain of powder generates heat, erodes the throat, causes more recoil and costs more $ to load.

AJ

Excellent point.

Let me ask you a question though. It says something about optimal game weight? That seems a little low to me, i would think most all of the data from anyones would show up less then what a bull elk would weigh and they are able to take them at long ranges? Also the energy. What is the Lowest energy to consider for hunting? meaning do you want to try to have atleast so many ft lbs of energy at a certain yardage to consider it am "ethical" shot?
Thanks

Excellent point.

Let me ask you a question though. It says something about optimal game weight? That seems a little low to me, i would think most all of the data from anyones would show up less then what a bull elk would weigh and they are able to take them at long ranges? Also the energy. What is the Lowest energy to consider for hunting? meaning do you want to try to have atleast so many ft lbs of energy at a certain yardage to consider it am "ethical" shot?
Thanks

That my friend is an unanswerable question. Literally 10's of thousands of words have been written contemplating that question. It all depends upon shot placement. I've seen bull elk carry a sporting goods store worth of ammo. I've also heard from very reliable sources, that a 22lr behind the front leg of a bull moose will kill them dead (after 2-3 minute wait).

Even though its unanswerable, I figure that having 40lbs momentum with a good bullet and good placement will put down anything I am likely to hunt. I'd say, 30lbs for deer. I'm not right, (nobody can be "right"), but I'm not wrong :D

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.