Ballistic tip fails

Guiding and shooting for a bit I've never seen a ballistic tip even hint at failure. The 300 weatherby w/165 bt is a deadly rig for Dall Rams! Go up a weight with them they shoot flat enough for any practical hunting now days.

[ QUOTE ]
I shoot the 200 AB. I think that is the ideal wt. for the RUM. A 180 would be my second choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My cousin almost lost a nice 220 lb buck that was shot on the shoulder with a 30/06 and the new style 150g ballistic tips. We found the buck 400 yards away and got to shoot it again. The first bullet blew up on the shouler, not penetrating. I think that if you want to shoot a 150g bullet, try the 150g Barnes Tripple shock, but you will have to throw away half of the deer due to damage. There is a tempory wound cavity that is tremendous when you start shooting bullets very fast and they interact with flesh. So far in my life, the biggest mess that I have seen on the inside of a deer and the outside of a deer was shot with a Barnes tripple shock in 150g. We had to throw away the entire front of the deer! The Nosler 180g Ballistic Tip should do well as long as you don't shoot the deer at 50 feet. Just for grins, I think that if I were in your shoes, I would have to try the 150g Accubond...it may be what you are looking for at 450 and under.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts