ballistic meter, which one?

I' m in the market for a ballistic meter. so far I have been looking at the Kestrel options, 2700,5700 My max range for use at this time is 800 yds. Are any of you familiar with these or any better options?
if you hunt or shoot long range or are a match shooter there is only one the kestrel 5700 get the best and get one that will link up to your phone laser ect

I have an older Kestrel and it is great for getting weather info where I am standing. I use it to input into ballistic apps on my smartphone and that gets me primarily my elevation data. However, it is not going to do anything about the wind or reading it for you where you are NOT standing - meaning down range. In areas I know I am going to shoot in, I have walked the area, taking readings, and that gets me a general idea of the winds and how they shift as I move across or down range, but when actually shooting, I have to use other indicators - grass, trees, branches, etc to guesstimate what the wind is doing between the end of the barrel and the target I am trying to hit on that particular and conditions. A former military sniper told me, the best way to learn to read the wind is to go a out and watch the wind, for hours, to see what winds speeds are at different ranges and how to read the surrounding indicators to refine it. Even a spotting or my rifle scope looking at the mirage helps quite a bit. Yeah - I would love to have a Kestrel 5700 elite, but I IMHO right now that would be overkill for me.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have an older Kestrel Weather Meter but I don't really use it any more but I do use the drop chart on my rifle and my old EBR-2C reticle.

Depends on your budget. I have had some interesting results that even Kesteel couldn't help me with. Cost me a nice bull on a muzzleloader hunt in the Gila! I was ****ed.

I returned the Kestrel and used my Phone paird to the cheapest bluetooth capable Kestrel you can find. This will save you some money. Unless you just want one unit. I always use my Kestrel to input weather info to my phone via bluetooth. Use a good Ballistics App like TRASOL or Applied Ballistics and you will save almost 500 bucks

I have both the 2700 & 5700 Elite. If your range is 800 yd max you will find the 2700 will work great and is much cheaper. It can only hold one rifle at a time but that does not mean you can't hold several in your phone and reprogram as needed. Mine has been very accurate to 800yd.

Depends on your budget. I have had some interesting results that even Kesteel couldn't help me with. Cost me a nice bull on a muzzleloader hunt in the Gila! I was ****ed.

I returned the Kestrel and used my Phone paird to the cheapest bluetooth capable Kestrel you can find. This will save you some money. Unless you just want one unit. I always use my Kestrel to input weather info to my phone via bluetooth. Use a good Ballistics App like TRASOL or Applied Ballistics and you will save almost 500 bucks

This is a major help for me. is the TRASOL the best? it sounds like I can use the 2700 Kestrel meter with that and be good to go. I assume it will work in a remote location. This is exactly the info I was after, thanks to everyone for the help. I, like everyone don't want to spend more than necessary

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.