Ballistic Coefficient (BC) - How important is it?

PredatorSlayer

Inspired by another thread I was on - how important is a bullet's BC when it comes to long range hunting? Let's define that as 600+ yards.

I have always chosen high BC bullets- the higher the bc the better as long as it performed well on game. Its not the drop, that can be compensated for with a few more clicks of the turret. Its the wind - if I am going to make a mistake it will likely be a wind read when shooting up in the mountains. I feel like the wind can really get you past 600 yds.

Just curious what everybodys thought were?

Last edited:
Inspired by another thread I was on - how important is a bullet's BC when it comes to long range hunting? Let's define that as 600+ yards.

I have always chosen high BC bullets- the higher the bc the better as long as it performed well on game. Its not the drop, that can be compensated for with a few more clicks of the turret. Its the wind - if I am going to make a mistake it will like be a wind read when shooting up in the mountains. I feel like the wind can really get you past 600 yds.

Just curious what everybodys thought were?
Out to 600yds, not very important. Between 600-800 it starts to become important.

Beyond a thousand it becomes very important because the longer the bullet is in the air the more the variables you cannot control affect the flight.

For most of us we'll never really see the difference in a BC of .430 and .600 but the further you push it out the greater the benefits of the higher BC bullets.

Yep, higher the BC of the bullet the less it is affected by wind. One advantage of 6.5 CM over .308 Win.

As well, all ballistic engines worth a d@mn will require your bullet's BC to be entered.

Eric B.

Last edited:
This is the difference between a .50 G1 BC and .65 G1 BC. Assumes same atmospheric conditions, velocity of 2800 fps and 10 MPH wind.
A129152A-3154-47B6-B86B-D07B91841FB2.png
9C1AC91E-023B-4D3F-8E2D-84562A7CFAF7.png

Plug in 3100 MV and it gets even better. Higher BC and less TOF is the optimum for less drift. But you still have to read the wind. I would venture to say that 99% of LR shots on game are at or less than 600 yds. Not saying that once in a life time trophy won't step out a 1000

I mean technically a cartridge will produce the velocity of the bullet and bullet Mach determines BC so...

Look at BC in simple terms. It relates to predictable accuracy. The better the BC the more predictable the bullet is going to be when dealing with the in flight conditions. Things that effect BC are speed and weight. You can shoot a lower BC bullet say.45 very accurate at distance when you make up for BC with higher velocity. Weight is also a function. If you shoot a 350 gr bullet with a .45 BC it will be more predictable than a 130 gr bullet with same BC. It takes more to move than bullet in flight. Also At X distance as the bullet slows the low BC will come in to play and the bullet will become less predictable on where it impacts.

In short for 7-800 plus yards BC really starts to show. For 700ish and under I've found than .45 BC is enough to keep shots in the kill zone. I can keep my 25-06 at 3200 FPS in with .45 BC in 10 in gong easily. My 8x338 with 200gr .45 BC at 2800fps will do the same but really falls off at 600ish.

Competition is different story since the goal is to hit an X is a 4-6in circle.

Also BC does not "have less wind."
It maintains velocity longer, thus goes further, faster THAN a less BC bullet before wind affects it AS much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.