Ballistic Coefficient (BC) - How important is it?

Heres a experience that happened to me. I bought a 257 for pest and antelope,as many say what a fine goat gun. Im set up on a side hill,my wind meter less than 5,goat at roughly 600.I shot and miss, by a goat length.Get up go that direction and strong wind across coulee.This happens more than once.I grew up mountain hunting and lighter wind effect.I get looking at my ballistic and 1000 yrd hold for wind on my 257=2.6 mil, hold on same 338 =1.1 mil.And this was just for 10 mph and wind usually much more on east side.This a comparing large difference BC, but I started hunting the speed goats with my 338 and really helped me fight the hard to call praire wind.Its hard to see also. This I guess would be a extreme example

MODERN BRASS FOR HIGH BC (HEAVY-FOR-CALIBER) BULLETS

Lately companies like Hornady with their PRC cases and Nosler with their high speed cartridges have addressed the need for longer case necks to accommodate longer, high BC bullets so loading them does not compromise the case volume.

So yes, there ARE "high BC cases" and we will see more of them in the future.

Eric B.

MODERN BRASS FOR HIGH BC (HEAVY-FOR-CALIBER) BULLETS

Lately companies like Hornady with their PRC cases and Nosler with their high speed cartridges have addressed the need for longer case necks to accommodate longer, high BC bullets so loading them does not compromise the case volume.

So yes, there ARE "high BC cases" and we will see more of them in the future.

Eric B.

Long neck like the 6.5 Rem Mag? Or multiple Weatherbys? Long necks are nothing new.

For most hunting purposes, B.C. doesn't matter much. I've taken game at 200 yards using bullets with a B.C. of .217 and coyotes at 500 using bullets with a B.C. of .221. Elk at 350 with a B.C. of .387. Steel at 600 has been no problem with B.C. values of .357, .418, .439 and others.

That is why I picked the same cartridge, same Berger manufacturer just different weight and B.C. was just trying to compare apples to apples and be fair.
Way to many people get hung up on B.C for hunting.

Now run the numbers with the bullets at the same velocity...

This is why when we make a mph gun wind chart (the original hodnett quick wind) everyone will have a different mph gun depending on variety guns/ bullets being used.
Todd stole that method for his own by the way. It was first presented to the Army school house in the late 90's by Dan Flowers. I learned it from Dan in 1999. Since ballistic programs weren't yet readily available to individuals, Dan worked it out using Excel spreadsheets.

Todd learned it in about 2005 or later, and took it for his own. He then monetized it by developing the Tremor reticles around it, and selling it back to the Army he stole it from.

The question is why would you not pick the highest BC for weight possible given the criteria required to kill at X distance? Most people chose high BC bullets for the less wind/less drop factor to narrow down the margin of error. External ballistics. Of course the bullet must also be of the right design to be terminally effective. I personally look at the data hard to determine if I need a heavier and slower bullet or lighter and faster bullet as there is a definitely a cross over point that limits advantages, meaning its not set in stone. For example I am playing with the 135 a tip in my prc vs the 156 EOL. The wind drift is nearly identical to 1000 but the drop is 3 moa different. The criteria for this lighter bullet is that the energy on target is not as important, smaller game, so I go with advantages in less drop. If I went elk hunting I would likely take the 156 for that added energy and mass for the heavier bodied animal.

I'm gonna give my 6.5x300wsm as example at 1,000 yards between the 140 and 156 both sighted in at 100 and 10mph cross wind.
140 3220 fps 219" drop and 56" of wind and t.o.f 1.25
156 at 3100fps 225" drop and 51" of wind and t.o.f. 1.25
Now tell me who's good enough to judge 5" of wind at 1000 yards across a canyon and who's not.
I'm not. Next tell me if .304 or .347 is better

I look at it as why add another 5 inches to an already poor wind call, I'll take 5 free inches of help on windage every time!!

Thats what I was getting at .In general lots of hunting no big deal.But for me when I left mountains and wanted to trophy antelope hunt.The wind was a eye opener.I missed shots that I thought where give mes.Plus over here in mountains you usually just see pieces of the animal. My 338 put me right back in drivers seat on the longer stuff,just try rib cage them though. I archery hunt them also,arrows proped against deco_One goat I couldnt even stay on his body at 50 yrds because of wind,brought him in from 800 yrds,in about a minute

I look at it as why add another 5 inches to an already poor wind call, I'll take 5 free inches of help on windage every time!!
And sherm's example is pretty conservative - the difference in BC is only. .043. As soon as you compare a bullet with .25 vs .325 we aren't talking inches anymore at 1000, we are talking feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.