Ballistic Calculators - Bullet Drops when Shooting at Inclination Angles...

I run isnipe for baseline info on all my rifles. JBM based calcs. Was just compairing my 6.5cm 144hyb load. Same conditions/rifle settings.
Horizontal 500yard dialup
Hornady - 8.58 moa
Isnipe - 8.56 moa
30 deg up angle 500y dialup
Hornady- 5.25 moa
Isnipe - 6.93 moa

From my known data that hornady correction would be me spot on at 375 yards on flat ground. To me it almost looks like it is doubling the correction to the distance.
Isnipes 6.93moa would put me on at 440 yards. Which puts me very close to the corrected horizontal distance for 500m- 30deg incline. By my math the correct horizontal dist would be 433y, which lines up pretty well with the isnipe numbers.

When I get a chance I need to make a few shots that steep. Even in the heart of the rockies finding a spot to shoot 500y at a true 30deg incline isnt that easy.

Have you actually shot at those ranges and inclination(s) to validate your estimates?
Nope. I'm sure I'll never find the terrain in MI to shoot this test. That said, the ballistic calculators provide significantly different solutions for the same inputs - we know that at least one of them is wrong!

I run isnipe for baseline info on all my rifles. JBM based calcs. Was just compairing my 6.5cm 144hyb load. Same conditions/rifle settings.
Horizontal 500yard dialup
Hornady - 8.58 moa
Isnipe - 8.56 moa
30 deg up angle 500y dialup
Hornady- 5.25 moa
Isnipe - 6.93 moa

From my known data that hornady correction would be me spot on at 375 yards on flat ground. To me it almost looks like it is doubling the correction to the distance.
Isnipes 6.93moa would put me on at 440 yards. Which puts me very close to the corrected horizontal distance for 500m- 30deg incline. By my math the correct horizontal dist would be 433y, which lines up pretty well with the isnipe numbers.

When I get a chance I need to make a few shots that steep. Even in the heart of the rockies finding a spot to shoot 500y at a true 30deg incline isnt that easy.
Thanks for the extra datapoint. Let us know if you ever get an opportunity to test it out.

I'm very much inclined to believe that it's Hornady that is wrong (bug?). All the other calculators agree more or less.

When angles get above about 10 degrees, the old school Rifleman's Rule calls for more correction than 4DOF, and RR is notorious for calling for less drop than necessary (no account for drag during the extra time of flight)...:oops:

The calculator does a great job for me otherwise, but this is a serious, and frankly shocking bug.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.