Ballistic calculators are OK, but...

This Kestrel/AB 5700 Elite calculator, along with a good laser rangefinder will give you EVERYTHING you need to properly calculate your point of aim.

I'm considering the Kestrel 5700 and along with it a rangefinder that links with the Kestrel. Any recommendations on which rangefinder to consider would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm thankful for the OP, as one that is new to FFP scopes and trying to extend my long distance range. I am finding, with all of the variables it takes to shoot accurately AND precisely for a hunt, you need to know empirically by shooting and not just deriving the numbers, to make an ethical kill in a case where you cannot close the distance.

I have done a considerable amount of long range shooting both in the Marines and as a civilian and have found that nothing beats practice and record keeping when it comes ballistics and hitting the target when it matters most. Recently, I was shooting with a friend who is thoroughly convinced the his CDS dial that he ordered from Leupold should be dead on at every range out 600 yards. After all, he used his ballistic calculator and sent Leupold the data (disclaimer, my friends an engineer). Much to his disappointment, the CDS dial was off as much as three MOA at various ranges. After several attempts to get him to make a dope change on the elevation turret, I finally gave up trying to convince him that his ballistic calculator was slightly off or he input the wrong data.

This isn't the first time I have run into this problem. I have shot in the field and in competition with people who have failed to confirm their zero's at various ranges and insist on blaming their optics or the company that made the turret. If your turret is slightly off its OK, just record it and keep required dope changes handy. If you have experience shooting at long range and have moved past this issue then disregard this post. However, if you are just getting started, or thinking about getting into long range shooting and hunting then shoot, record, shoot, record... you will save yourself a lot of heartache. We'll talk about wind some other time...
Disclaimer: Your friend apparently isn't much of an engineer....... Maybe a gobmint enginner. Must have spent the class on variables and statistics texting on his dumb phone. From a really, really old successful engineer that knows better. :) :) :)

How far is that over there in your opinion?
Dont know, probably about 800.
Id say more like 700.
Lets see who can hit it with less shots.

All it should take is two, maybe three, even without a program.
Thats the way (click charts) were made, and passed along to friends, even those who had rifles using different cartridges.
You know what, it was actually a better method because you had to know before you knew.

Buck's old school method IS good when the electronic gadgets go tits up. For that situation you do need to keep a standard record book for loads, distances and and weather. And you do need to know how to use your reticle for range finding as well. Maybe a Mildot Master would be nice to have as backup for more precise range finding.

I have found that inputting the specific load's muzzle velocity (from my Magnetospeed V3) and range (from my LRF binoculars) into the Kestrel 5700 4 DOF calculator gives excellent real time firing solutions. That instrument's sensors with the accurate data I just mentioned gives the very best real time firing solutions available to civilians.

Yup, in the old days it was "we just went up 5000 feet, drop a minute.
Temp dropped 20 degrees, add a minute"...and so on.

Technology is awesome...till it isn't.

I have done a considerable amount of long range shooting both in the Marines and as a civilian and have found that nothing beats practice and record keeping when it comes ballistics and hitting the target when it matters most. Recently, I was shooting with a friend who is thoroughly convinced the his CDS dial that he ordered from Leupold should be dead on at every range out 600 yards. After all, he used his ballistic calculator and sent Leupold the data (disclaimer, my friends an engineer). Much to his disappointment, the CDS dial was off as much as three MOA at various ranges. After several attempts to get him to make a dope change on the elevation turret, I finally gave up trying to convince him that his ballistic calculator was slightly off or he input the wrong data.

This isn't the first time I have run into this problem. I have shot in the field and in competition with people who have failed to confirm their zero's at various ranges and insist on blaming their optics or the company that made the turret. If your turret is slightly off its OK, just record it and keep required dope changes handy. If you have experience shooting at long range and have moved past this issue then disregard this post. However, if you are just getting started, or thinking about getting into long range shooting and hunting then shoot, record, shoot, record... you will save yourself a lot of heartache. We'll talk about wind some other time...
I absolutely agree with your findings buck 8541.
As far as repeatable accuracy goes. Nothing but nothing will ever replace record keeping and note taking as well as a through knowledge of your rifle and the ammunition that you are using.
Everything else is just a tool to be used to aid you in obtaining accurate shots down range. By this I mean monitoring the weather wind speed and direction., chronographs ( used ahead of time during load development ) ,, as well as glassing the terrain itself in order to determine if tree branches , or other obstacles such as dips or knolls that will cause a deflection of your bullets flight path.

The kestrel with applied ballistics is an amazing tool if you use it correctly. Absolutely improves 1st round impacts. You mentioned the marines, our boys are being taught to shoot with kestrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.