Ballistic calculator

Just curious. When you run your ballistics program, and you look at the table with drops, does it show at 100 yards that your drop is 0?

If you zeroed your rifle at 100, so its neither high or low at 100 and your ballistics run for 300 shows a certain holdover, it will be off if the 100 yard point is not showing zero too.

If 100 yds is not at zero something is wrong. Just another check you can make on your list.

I checked everything on the scope the first thing. It's definitely not the scope, or the rifle. I'm not doing something right with the ballistic app.
You've already shot and you know how much you actually need to come up for clicks based on your actual dialing when previously in the field. Just figure the calculator out and shouldn't need to waste any more ammo.

Shooter is an amazing AP but not free, it was a 1 time charge of $9.99 I think (bought years ago) but so worth it! If you're frustrated and done, you can purchase shooter and just copy all my info I previously posted up for you and you should be golden (or very close) until you figure out the input error issue.

I prefer to use "station pressure" and make my "pressure absolute" in shooter. If you have a Kestrel or a range finder that shows station pressure, its the quickest, easiest, and accurate. Basically combines the elevation and barometric pressure in one. Hope you get it figured out shortly.

055E6B08-398B-436A-896B-6460BCF42153.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had to tweak my bc, my velocity,my scope height, to hit per strelok. Once tweaked to match what I already kno to come up ,it matches pretty good on out.

I've had to tweak my bc, my velocity,my scope height, to hit per strelok. Once tweaked to match what I already kno to come up ,it matches pretty good on out.
In other words you said you need to come up 8 moa. Try tweaking numbers here an there to get to 8 moa. Then check other distances. I've made it to 700 this way ,made my own moa chart.

I may not be adding something here that will benefit the shooter seeking help, but my info is well meant. I have worked with a few ballistics tables and was convinced the real problem was me. So, I have gone way back to the caveman method. I have access to an 800 yard range and use it for specific drop tables for specific rifles of mine. Then I turn that data over the Leupold for a custom turret with those exact elevations for distances. The resulting confidence knowing that everything is EXACTLY correct, once I get the correct lasered range, gives me the confidence to make clean shots, if I do my part.

There are a lot of shooters on this forum who are more experienced than me, so I am surprised nobody has refuted this. Just in case there are some inexperienced people who are looking here for answers, and may get confused, first focal plane (FFP) vs second focal plane (SFP) will make no difference if you are dialing and shooting center - only if you are using reticles for holdover. Dialing 2 MOA up on a SFP scope, whether at the bottom of its magnification or at the top, with all other factors being equal, will have the exact same point of impact as dialing 2 MOA up on a FFP scope. Lots of good information on here, but bad information or opinions should be corrected so as not to lead others down the wrong path. Just this weekend, I was shooting with a guy that has shot for 30 years, reloads all his own ammo, and has multiple custom rifles, but who had no idea the difference between FFP and SFP and how it affected holdovers. Maybe I misunderstood the post or maybe it was just worded wrong, and I do not use Strelock, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but dialing for elevation should be no different in FFP vs SFP scopes no matter whether shooting at 6x or 24x.
I think the magnification level on a SFP scope doesn't matter if you are dialing. Only if you are holding
Gosh
I thought I did 🙄🙄

Can anyone help me out on a ballistic calculator that works correctly. I've tried half a dozen different one's, including Strelok, and none of them are even close to being correct. I've tried everything I know to get them to match the ballistics of my firearms, and they aren't even close. As much as 8"off at 300 yrds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You might take a look at Applied Ballistics. It has an extensive bullet library of BCs. It also has a feature for corrections.

I plugged it roughly into bullet flight. No frills but simple.

Attachments

• 67237EF6-D694-43D3-AE2A-8918355BECD3.png
    67237EF6-D694-43D3-AE2A-8918355BECD3.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 54
  • C1D6BF74-1079-40D8-B016-075087B66FDF.png
    C1D6BF74-1079-40D8-B016-075087B66FDF.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 46
I've input my information numerous times, and nothing works. I was shooting a 6.5 Grendel today, 100gr Lapua scenar, 2780mv, zeroed at 100 yrds, 6x24x50 moa scope. At 300 yrds strelok said to come up 1.8 moa, and it was 5.5 inches low.
By my calculations 1.8 MOA at 300 yards is about 5.7". So if you came up the 1.8 MOA and are still 5.5" low you're pretty much looking at a total drop of over 11" total for your load. That sounds about right because my 6.5 CM load with a 100 yd zero is 14.4" low at 300 or 4.6 MOA. My MV is a modest 2640 and I'm shooting a 143 gr Hornady ELD-X

There are a lot of shooters on this forum who are more experienced than me, so I am surprised nobody has refuted this. Just in case there are some inexperienced people who are looking here for answers, and may get confused, first focal plane (FFP) vs second focal plane (SFP) will make no difference if you are dialing and shooting center - only if you are using reticles for holdover. Dialing 2 MOA up on a SFP scope, whether at the bottom of its magnification or at the top, with all other factors being equal, will have the exact same point of impact as dialing 2 MOA up on a FFP scope. Lots of good information on here, but bad information or opinions should be corrected so as not to lead others down the wrong path. Just this weekend, I was shooting with a guy that has shot for 30 years, reloads all his own ammo, and has multiple custom rifles, but who had no idea the difference between FFP and SFP and how it affected holdovers. Maybe I misunderstood the post or maybe it was just worded wrong, and I do not use Strelock, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but dialing for elevation should be no different in FFP vs SFP scopes no matter whether shooting at 6x or 24x.
You are absolutely right it does not make any difference if you are dialing for elevation if its FFP OR SFP but where it makes a difference if you were to use the aiming points on a SFP at different magnification your point of impact will be different on every magnification, but on a FFP scope your POI will be the same throughout the magnification range when using the same reference point in your reticle.

I've compared Shooter to my kestrel and when all the information is the same the results are very very close. But but like any app based calculator it's only as good as the info you put in it. They're better than they used to be. But keep in mind if you use your phone to pull the weather data it could be pulling the weather info from a station a mile away or 20 miles away depending where you are.