Ballistic Calculator for Hunting?

Wildcat99

Do you just run with a detailed dope card or do you bring your phone, Kestrel or other electronics into the field with you when you hunt? What's your setup for making long, accurate shots quickly? I tend to run the Hornady 4DOF on my phone but that can be dicey on cold (battery life) and wet (touch screen) hunts with a dope card as a back up.

I run my load through an app, print out the drops and then wrap tape around the elevation turret. I then mark the tape with corresponding yards from the print out up to the maximum yardage I plan to shoot. In the field, I range the target and quickly twist the turret matching the ranged yardage. Quick and effective thus far.

I do what Rick mentioned quite a bit, except do yardages to 500 or 600 yards depending on circumstances. Can take a good change in environmentals to really make a difference out to that range. I leave the moa or mil markings visible and use my ballistic calculator (range finder, kestrel, or phone) for extended ranges. I will also make a range card for redundancy (turret wrap, ballistic calc, data card).

I have the ballistic app on the phone but don't want to drag my $$$$ phone around in the field.
I print a cheat sheet with 50 yd. Increments with drop and drift to 500+ depending on gun. Clear tape to off side of stock and it's always put me close enough to hit.
I usually keep tabs on wind speed by phone before I head in.
Love my Leica!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.