Ballistic Calculations Please.

dbhostler

For all you ballistitians out there, I need some calculations. I'm shooting a .244 Ak with 107 SMKs at 3100fps. I have a NXS 8-32X56 with the MLR reticle. The rifle is "zeroed" at 107 yds. first target. Second target is 417 yds and exactly 5.50 mils up from "zero". My questions are How many mils up from "zero" would 200, 300, 500, and 600yards be?
db

400 yds would be 5.5 MOA up or about 22.3 inches for an exact 100 yds zero. Are you sure it is mils?

200 yds would be about 1.3 MOA and 300yds about 3.3 MOA

500 yds = 8.1MOA, 600 yds= 11.1MOA

I didn't bother to run a program I just went to the Sierra exterior ballistics site and used their tables.

I don't know what's going on here. The scope has the MLR reticle on it so I assume the adjustments are in mils. My 107 yd zero is 3.25 above the 200 line and to hit on at 417, I have to elevate up to 8.75. Is it possible I have a mil reticle that adjusts in MOA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
db

I normally shoot on the "R" which I believe is 22X. I wasn't using any hold overs, I was actually dialing the elevation turret up and down and sighting on the center cross of the reticle.
db

Hi DB the elevation turrets are in 1/4 MOA the glass etched reticle is in Mills so if you want to use it for holdover you must have it on 22 power for it to be calibrated correctly but at diferent powers you can work out what the distances are. Now if you are winding your knobs the power does not matter it is consistant at every power as you are working off the centre cross and that point does not change with power adjustments.

So you are asking in MOA what your elevations are.

Cheers Bill
Australia

That makes more sense. According to TRA, using standard atmosheric conditions and your info, your drops should be as follows:

200 yards = 1.02 MOA 0.3 Mils

300 yards = 2.87 MOA 0.83 Mils

400 yards = 5.10 MOA 1.48 Mils

500 yards = 7.65 MOA 2.22 Mils

600 yards = 10.51 MOA 3.06 Mils

This could be done more accurate with the actual atmospheric data during your shooting test.

Hope that helps.

I think you're correct. But I assumed that where a milliradian reticle was used, the turret adjustments would be in mils also. Are adjustments in the military scopes graduated in mils?

Thanks for the calculations, the whole thing makes more since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif This is the first mil reticle I've ever used. I've always thought in MOA. I'm kinda glad the adjustments are in MOA, means I won't have to go back to college to understand the math /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

db

The night force scope are all MOA adjustable even with milradian reticles.

There is one or 2 scopes that use mil value adjustments (.344 MOA) I think the USO "GAP" is one such scope, but dont quote me. Your scope will adjust itself .250 MOA per click provided it is the NXS and not the bench rest version in which case it will be .125 MOA per click.

Thanks to all, meichele, buffalobob and Wild Bill for your input. I think we've figured it out. I tried to call Nightforce today, but they are closed on Friday. No need now.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.