Balance/weight distribution & accuracy

Snowbird

I've been a light weight rifle shooter for most of my target and all of my hunting for the last two decades. 5 years back I picked up a target rig and noticed how sloppy I could be in form and still make good hits on steel at distance. Lately I'm starting to look at an 8-9lb build and wondering where the weight needs to be to improve poor form forgiveness. In real world hunting it's rare to get a perfect prone shot where I hunt. If I can gain something from an extra couple pounds then I'll take it. My question is where should that weight be? On the barrel, stock or balanced throughout the rifle?

This all depends on your type of shooting. I like it balanced in the middle. This is just me. Some like it a little more upfront if going Prone, helps with recoil mgmt with the bipod.

Of hunting and you may need to adjust your shooting position like , fence, tree, sticks, bipod, tripod, buddy's shoulder, hood of the truck, etc. I say balanced in the middle or near it.

Well, the plan is to hang just under a pound off the end of the barrel. I can't decide if I want to swap the stock out. I like the factory T3 stock due to the weight but it is a bit flimsy. The mesa altitude interests me but not sure if like it off hand shooting. B&C has a budget stock that works and only adds a few ounces. Any other stocks better at controlling recoil with good ergonomics for the Tikka?

I shoot from a bipod most all of the time. So more weight on the bipod definitely helps me. As far ideal balance, in the middle works best for me. I have some that are front heavy and they're easier than a balanced lightweight but still not as good as balanced in the middle on a heavier rifle. The old gen 1 senderos seemed to be just about perfect as far as heavy enough and fairly balanced. I did add just a little weight in the butt end of a sendero.

I've been a light weight rifle shooter for most of my target and all of my hunting for the last two decades. 5 years back I picked up a target rig and noticed how sloppy I could be in form and still make good hits on steel at distance. Lately I'm starting to look at an 8-9lb build and wondering where the weight needs to be to improve poor form forgiveness. In real world hunting it's rare to get a perfect prone shot where I hunt. If I can gain something from an extra couple pounds then I'll take it. My question is where should that weight be? On the barrel, stock or balanced throughout the rifle?
When I'm hunting Elk or deer, I always have on fore front of my thinking is, a tree to butt up against or a log or stump when the prone is out if the question. If i get caught in the open , I'll be shooting from the kneeling, possibly the sitting position I don't carry sticks. I don't believe their very stable and I'm carrying enough crap all ready. If I spot'em from the road, I more than likely, will be going over the hood of my pickup. All my rifles with scopes are around 9 to 10Ibs. And don't forget, if you have a pack on ,there you go,

Last edited:
All my rifles with scopes are around 9 to 10Ibs. And don't forget, if you have a pack on ,there you go,

My hunting rifles are about 6.5-7.75lbs scoped without a suppressor. I'm thinking of going back to 9lbs for hunts that my require shots past mid range. Just not sure which end to put the weight. The suppressor will be on the barrel so maybe more weight in the mid of the stock. Guess I need to do some mock up testing.

My hunting rifles are about 6.5-7.75lbs scoped without a suppressor. I'm thinking of going back to 9lbs for hunts that my require shots past mid range. Just not sure which end to put the weight. The suppressor will be on the barrel so maybe more weight in the mid of the stock. Guess I need to do some mock up testing.
I have a muzzle break on my 300 Roy,and it works out fine. When they put a balancer on a bow ,I believe it's out front, at least I know it is on mine. I don' think we should over think the situation. Its not critical as to distributing weight on a bush plane, not saying that's what your saying. This is why I believe it good to get out ,if you can find a place to shoot in all kinds of positions. When comes to a real life hunting situation ,I would put my bet on thinks not being perfect, like sitting on a bench or picking the nice sunny day your going to be shooting prone out in the desert .

Last edited:
I shoot in some kind of match about 3 weekends a month and I learn something every time.what I learned today was stop rocking back on my heels when I pull the trigger.on one of my rifles I have the stock weighed in the rear and I have and a mark where I put my atlas bipod.shooting in the field I would prefer to shoot free hand out to 200 using a short 308 or 30-06 with a hunting style stock and a lower power stock but it takes practice.today I rocking back on my heels because I had different shoes on and someone else pointed it out

I shoot in some kind of match about 3 weekends a month and I learn something every time.what I learned today was stop rocking back on my heels when I pull the trigger.on one of my rifles I have the stock weighed in the rear and I have and a mark where I put my atlas bipod.shooting in the field I would prefer to shoot free hand out to 200 using a short 308 or 30-06 with a hunting style stock and a lower power stock but it takes practice.today I rocking back on my heels because I had different shoes on and someone else pointed it out
Lower power scope

I run a 9lbs hunting rifle and the balance point is just for award of the mag well. I prefer this when hunting as I normal find a front rest available to hang that extra weight on when taking a shot. The extra weight on the suppressor is worth every Penny when I can hear the contact of the bullet