Balance scale giving incorrect weights

Ucsdryder

Any idea how to fix a balance scale that is throwing incorrect weight? I double checked it with an electronic scale and another balance scale. A nickel weighs 77.2 grains but my Reading balance scale is about .3 grains light, readying 76.9.

Call Redding up and talk to their tech people. They'll likely have you send it in.
Did that, they wanted 25 bucks to calibrate it. Not the end of the world, but still annoying. Rcbs would have had me taken care of in 30 seconds!

Geeeze, when did they start that?

Okay, back to your problem, ..... when you carefully slide the weights back to zero does the pointer go to zero?

First....are you sure your other scales are correct.....ive 10/10..hornady electronic(I don't trust)..and chargemaster lite...10/10 and lite are very close and the lite has calibrated weights....

I have a Hornady *** that is 1.3g HEAVY.
Always checked it and re-zeroed it from day one. Then didn't use it for more than 5 years and forgot it had to be re-zeroed after getting it level and proceeded to load a batch and got heavy bolt lift and 70fps faster than normal….Oh, light bulb moment.
My 10/10 is bent, no idea on how to calibrate so it's in it's box. Unused.

Cheers.

First....are you sure your other scales are correct.....ive 10/10..hornady electronic(I don't trust)..and chargemaster lite...10/10 and lite are very close and the lite has calibrated weights....
I checked it with a brand new Redding scale and my electronic and both matched eachother. A nickel weighs 77.2grains which my electronic scale matched as well. So I'm confident it's off.

Geeeze, when did they start that?

Okay, back to your problem, ..... when you carefully slide the weights back to zero does the pointer go to zero?
Yep, it's consistent too. Always .3 low, goes back to zero, etc.

This is why I have set of check weights. I have multiple balance and electronic scales. I don't trust any of them for calibration purposes. They all get checked against something of known weight.
Couldn't agree more. If I had assumed it was right it could have put me in a bad spot. .3 grains isn't dangerous but it could create some major headaches!

Clean pivot point with acetone and swab. Clean beam balance point as well. Even covered they can get gummed up. Get some calibration weights. I always checked my balance beam with calibration weight close to my load weight. If you do not have a cover, I placed mine in plastic shoe container or even just placed the container over it. Protects it from being knocked around.

I have Lyman weights to check. Is there a tare function on the scale?

Update: I misread the post. On my balance beam scales there's a screw to zero out the scale. Does your Redding still read off once that is done? I'd get a weight check kit. It doesn't take much metal to be shaved off to change a nickel or brass.