Balance scale giving incorrect weights

I even bought 2 reference weight sets from 2 different manufacturers to be sure. Have 2 Digital scales and a triple beam.

Whatever weight I am weighing I check with the references close to that weight.

I wouldn't trust a coin. That idea never crossed my mind. Wow.

Last edited:
People have used a coin for decades. Its weight will be exactly the same every time if the scale is repeatable. That's all that matters.

Doesn't matter if it's a tenth grain off exact.

Last edited:
Any idea how to fix a balance scale that is throwing incorrect weight? I double checked it with an electronic scale and another balance scale. A nickel weighs 77.2 grains but my Reading balance scale is about .3 grains light, readying 76.9.

Put your check weights in the pan and weigh, then adjust the calibration weights that are under the tray until the scale is calibrated to the check weights.

Any idea how to fix a balance scale that is throwing incorrect weight? I double checked it with an electronic scale and another balance scale. A nickel weighs 77.2 grains but my Reading balance scale is about .3 grains light, readying 76.9.
I bought a complete set of check weights at a gun show 20 years ago. I always check my scales for accuracy/consistency during every reloading session. I check low, high and in the middle. I found a nearby A/C vent was causing me to measure inaccurate charges using the check weights. My RCBS scale starting acting "inconsistent". The knife edges protruding from the beam were hitting some dust in the crystal contact blocks on the sides. A quick wipe with a q-tip and a blow with computer Ultra Duster brought the scale back to normal performance. Keep these contact points clean and dry. ANY kind of lube will attract dirt, and over time cause problems. My RCBS scale has a 1/10gr adjustment on the end of the beam. It has a nylon screw to lock it in place. I lost that screw, got a replacement from a hardware not thinking it could be different enough to cause a problem. It was .2gr different. I had to re-calibrate the scale to account for it. Again using my check weights pointed out this weight difference in the screw.

I bought a complete set of check weights at a gun show 20 years ago. I always check my scales for accuracy/consistency during every reloading session. I check low, high and in the middle. I found a nearby A/C vent was causing me to measure inaccurate charges using the check weights. My RCBS scale starting acting "inconsistent". The knife edges protruding from the beam were hitting some dust in the crystal contact blocks on the sides. A quick wipe with a q-tip and a blow with computer Ultra Duster brought the scale back to normal performance. Keep these contact points clean and dry. ANY kind of lube will attract dirt, and over time cause problems. My RCBS scale has a 1/10gr adjustment on the end of the beam. It has a nylon screw to lock it in place. I lost that screw, got a replacement from a hardware not thinking it could be different enough to cause a problem. It was .2gr different. I had to re-calibrate the scale to account for it. Again using my check weights pointed out this weight difference in the screw.
Good info to know about!