Baiting during spring and summer, waste of time?

Marine sniper

I am a new wolf hunter; but love killing them. I have some property in a Northwest state where I would like to try baiting them. I have a good friend who is a taxidermist, so I have access to a lot of bait.

I plan on trying baiting next winter; but what about now? Summer time?

Any tips on baiting in general? If I have a deer leg, etc, should I try securing the bait so it can't be packed off?

The idea would be to set up a blind a couple hundred yards from the bait.

Thanks for any help,
John

I don't know about wolves, however, I can tell you it really works on other animals. It is important to do it on a regular schedule year round. If not your results will be inconsistent at best. If done daily at a specific time they will be waiting on you to put the food out. You should secure it. Don't forget to put out a trail camera. I don't know if doing this is such a good idea. It sounds great and probably would be if you could target just wolves. You could be feeding all the meat eating animals and birds in your area. They begin to rely on you. They become very tolerant to humans and the young don't get the hunting lessons they need. Plus, be sure to check baiting game law.

Check your laws and then talk extensively to the DNR (wildlife department, whatever your state calls it), it may be legal to bait, it may also be very illegal to use "game animals" to bait and you may find yourself in a heap of trouble, regardless your excuses or blame.

So, ask the DNR, then call a couple weeks later and ask again, rinse and repeat not until you find the answer you're looking for, but until you know for certain how they will apply the law.

Suppose talking with a lawyer wouldn't be a bad idea either, they cost money, I always go straight to my DNR.

As far as baiting, it works for everything, you want hot stupid women that are easy at your party, bait them by having good coke around.

You want deer around, keep corn flowing, on and on and on.

You can cover the meat or "shelter" the meat with branches to try and keep birds off, securing the bait so they have to come to that area and stay there isn't a bad idea either if it is doable.
Trail camera to monitor activity... absolutely.

If you end up with a bunch of grizzly bears living on it, call the DNR and discuss what to do so you don't p!$$ them off, grizzly bears can be a sore spot depending upon the state/area.

They may tell you at that point to stop, you may be legally entitled to continue, I'd listen and stop at least for a couple months, let the grizzlys get back to getting their own food in their normal range.

That may apply to black bear too.

Also, having food out and drawing said animals to your area may make you more liable for anything that happens. Example, you are going out to refill the area with food and out comes a bear, you shoot it, self defense.

Or is it, you were baiting, you were drawing the animals in, any reasonable person would have known the animals could be there, did you take all the precautions they'd want you to take.

Are you now going to be considered negligent in your baiting and therefore culpable for the shot animals regardless, fines, penalties, maybe a revocation of hunting privilege's.

Anyways, talk with your wildlife officers and clear it up, if you have the money, speaking with a lawyer couldn't hurt. Oh, and ask the wildlife department if they have specific officers designated for the area, if they do, get their numbers and talk directly with them as well.
They will be who shows up, if you already have good report with them things can be very smooth, otherwise... mess.

I'm pretty sure baiting wolves is illegal in every state except maybe most of Wyoming (they can be incidentally taken on bear baits in Idaho). However Wyoming is really clear that you can't use any game birds, game fish, or game animals for bait. I think the comment above me is really intelligent by saying you will have to talk to the DNR a lot or you will certainly run into issues.

I assume you are not referring to Montana because there isn't a summer season and you can't bait.

I will add that I don't know how the rules work for trapping but I am assuming you mean hunting based on the discussion of a blind and your other language. Overall, I think you REALLY need to consider all the laws in the place you want to bait because otherwise things could get real messy. But if you do figure out a place to bait wolves, I would still consider waiting until the fall because their coats are a million times better.

I've been baiting coyotes and fox for over 50 years and baiting bears for just as long.....wolves are not any different they also come into my baits we just can't shoot them in Michigan.....might never again....
Your best time to bait is late winter when food is harder to find and the predators are in the need of food and will be hit a lot more often. Later it gets the more it will get hit. Warm weather meat will spoil faster than it will get hit, making more work than its worth.
For over 30 years I have been using "deer sickles" I take any and all meat scraps uncooked cut into fist size or smaller fill the 5 gallon bucket add hot water then freeze. Either split the outside of the bucket at the bait site or before you need put in warm water to get it out.
I always put the bait up wind of a permanent blind only, hunt when the wind is right and use a camera that transmits at the bait to keep track of it.

I've been baiting coyotes and fox for over 50 years and baiting bears for just as long.....wolves are not any different they also come into my baits we just can't shoot them in Michigan.....might never again....
Your best time to bait is late winter when food is harder to find and the predators are in the need of food and will be hit a lot more often. Later it gets the more it will get hit. Warm weather meat will spoil faster than it will get hit, making more work than its worth.
For over 30 years I have been using "deer sickles" I take any and all meat scraps uncooked cut into fist size or smaller fill the 5 gallon bucket add hot water then freeze. Either split the outside of the bucket at the bait site or before you need put in warm water to get it out.
I always put the bait up wind of a permanent blind only, hunt when the wind is right and use a camera that transmits at the bait to keep track of it.
Very helpful, thanks.
One question though- why hot water?

I am a new wolf hunter; but love killing them. I have some property in a Northwest state where I would like to try baiting them. I have a good friend who is a taxidermist, so I have access to a lot of bait.

Any tips on baiting in general? If I have a deer leg, etc, should I try securing the bait so it can't be packed off?

Thanks for any help,
John
Close to raising livestock...feed them fatten them program them.How do they get 350# whitetails or 800# black bear.....FEED....

Thanks for any help,
John
yes it will work if legal in your area, these pics were taken in June some one had dumped a grizz carcass 360 lbs and a black bear 180 lbs of in a road site pit I found them the next day so I sat 2 game cams up on them hoping for a bear on the 3 day the wolves hit the black bear it was gone in two days then they did in the grizz it was gone in 4 days. the bitch had just had a litter and it would take he no more then 20 mins to and from her den so they live close coming up august 20 season open again and I will be back with the call this den is along a main road and only 4 miles from town

Attachments

• image_67166209.JPG
    image_67166209.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
  • image_55415491 (2).JPG
    image_55415491 (2).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 101
  • image_67206401.JPG
    image_67206401.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 97