Baiting coyotes

wildchild

Anyone have experience with this?
We're keeping all the deer carcasses from rifle season in a spare freezer for when it gets cold and a good amount of snow and place it at the end of a 300yd shooting lane cut threw a swamp we use for rifle season. we have a 8x8' inclosed heated deer stand to set in on a moonlite night.
Any ideas or suggestions to add?

It depends on how nocturnal the yotes are.

Around here they are very nocturnal.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

However, last month we go two off of an elk carcass in the day light. Very unusual...

Put them out long in advance so the yotes find them. I have had our deer carcasses out for a week and a half with a game camera watching over it and have not had a visit yet, lots of crows and hawks and turkeys but no yotes yet, but coyote tracks 50yds away. Last year I put a deer carcass out on a berm between the bean fields that I seen coyotes use during deer season it took a month for them to finially hit it, not sure why.

i use rib cages, meat scraps and dog food i use a good bunch to get them coming and once they are coming i will make a meatsicle wich is dog fod, bones and meat scrapes in a five gallon bucket then fill with water and let freez. at my bait they will show up when ever they want. i have had pics of them in the midle of day and all hours of the night. last year i had three that would come in together. my bait was 70 yards from the bait. here are a couple pics from last years.
PICT1998.jpg

PICT0429.jpg

I've been baiting yotes for a few years now with some success. The best being a bait behind my house with a motion sensor on it that wakes me up when something is on the bait, (you should try this, your wife will LOVE it!!!)

I think your distance is good, we tried baits at 100- 150 yards and the little @#$%@$# would wind us. When we moved out to 300 yards we would see them crossing the road at 200 yards with their noses up. I find here in Maine deer works best and beaver caracas work great too. If you are hunting in the cold you can freeze bait in water in a 5gal bucket, they cant drag it off and the bird damage will be down a bit, friggen birds eat a lot!. Last year we tried plowing our bait into a snowbank, that worked good too, again the dogs have to work for the bait and cant drag it off into the bushes, keeps them in front of you longer.

Let me know how you do, I like to hear about people putting coyotes through obedience training.... Lay down!!!! Stay..... Good boy....

i have a similar setupon back of the farm heated tree house 8x8 with sliding tented windows bait set at 311 yds old sink hole in field aka the pet cementary,we use deer parts ect, wrapped in chain link fence and staked down , makes them work for it.also have one off my back deck at 190yds same setup,my blue heeler distinct growl lets me know of there presence after dark.i pop them with a rebarreled mini 14 and a atn 6900 night scope,its amazing of how comfortable they are in darkness.

+1 on the night vision, they are way calmer in the dark. .243 with Raptor NV scope has been having fun this season, we go back and check our gut piles after we got a deer this season. We had a good bait made out of 150lbs of beef tallow and trim we got from a beef we butchered, they really seemed to love that fat in the wintertime when they need energy. We like to cover our baits with brush, helps keep the birds off for awhile at least so the dogs can find it by smell. Have heard of the meatsicle idea before, seems like you guys have had good luck, will have to try that!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.