Bags good enough?

Firearrow

Will finally be able to go to the range to test my new load, and I got to thinking about something. I know that shooting off of a bench rest style front rest is best, but is shooting off of snadbags good enough for testing loads? I know a lot of it is the shooter, but am I waisting time, and money by not using a BR style front rest? Mind you I am not building a comptition rifle, my main use is <500 yds, and is for hunting. But I want the best results I can get from the rifle , and load.

For hunting, and even beyond 500 yds, load testing off of a bag platform is surely good enough. You are not wasting your time.

The main thing is that you are able to hold the gun dead steady, and it recoils the same each shot. Set your bags up so they dont "rock" back and forth when the gun recoils. Ideally, you want the gun to sit in the same place on the bags every shot, and try to apply the same pressures to the stock every shot.......................it's all about consistency.

If you are using the bags correctly, 1/4 moa accuracy or better is obtainable, assuming the rifle/load is up the the task. Even if everything is not perfect, 1/2 moa is easily done off "just bags", again assuming the gun is capable.

Once you get a load developed that consistently shoots 3/4 moa or better extreme spread, practice under field positions, ex bipod and rear bag, and make sure of your point of impact at distance.

You are GTG!:)

Last edited:
I do my shooting off a bipod, and small basic rabbit ear type back with rice, as it is easy to handle, I put 3 @ 6 1/4 '' yesterday with this at 1003, 8 3/4 lb. rifle. My bench friend drug out about 75 lbs of rests front and back, and never shot outside 5 1/4'', 5 shot groups in 45 shots. His alum. action, 29'' bull barrel 17 lb.40X NF

I don't use a bench at all. Even my load work up is done while laying on the ground with a bipod, or more recently this "rest" that I got from a friend who posts on here. It's **** nice and weighs less than a bipod and I usually carry it in my pack. It has no problem with addressing varying heights or fitting in a pack.

IMG_20110224_164426.jpg

IMG_20110403_193055.jpg

IMG_20110224_184618.jpg

Now that I think about it, the NF with my field stuff is free. The range cost money. What was I thinking. Just figured the range with bags, was better for load testing than on the ground. You guys will have to forgive me. Spent the last 15 years shooting a bow.

I don't use a bench at all . . . or more recently this "rest" that I got from a friend who posts on here. It's **** nice and weighs less than a bipod and I usually carry it in my pack. It has no problem with addressing varying heights or fitting in a pack.

Another impressive innovation!!!

That model gives me some ideas. As a rest it is not attached to the rifle and does not count as rifle weight which an important consideration in Idaho with its 16# max weight limit with all attachments.

Another impressive innovation!!!

That model gives me some ideas. As a rest it is not attached to the rifle and does not count as rifle weight which an important consideration in Idaho with its 16# max weight limit with all attachments.

I likw that rest! Looks like it would be fast & sturdy & work well if you have a proper rear bag.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.