Bag technique

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Please describe your rear bag technique when shooting a heavy recoiling rifle off of a bench.

I don't use one,just on the front.Set the back on my benchand kneel on the ground.Ifigure that is as good as it gets in the field.

Len,
With my left arm across my chest i squeeze the base of the bag with my left hand. The grip i use is a little more difficult to explain, its not a hard hold that causes my fingers to turn white(i have seen this alot)but a firm hold pulling the butt snuggly to the shoulder. I have tried both wrapping my thumb around the grip and leaving it not touching, although there is no difference in felt recoil the latter method gives me more confidencein controlling recoil. When i wear short sleeved shirts i always rest my elbow on a pillow bag(a days shooting can remove some skin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)
My cheek touches with light pressure and i keep my mouth open so as not to transfer my pulse to the butt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I learned these techniques shooting HV benchrest and although i prefferred the free recoil technique,this is impossible in heavy recoiling gun, unless you have a gun that weighs 50lb plus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Centre Punch.

You don't seam to be getting many hits here,the biggest thing i found what not to do is leaning forward and getting the stock high on your shoulder,you said heavy recoil?Please don't shoot prone.I've shot a 10g since i was old enough to aim it,the first time i shot it straight up was my last to do that to.Since i'm strong handed at about 16 i ripped the forend off,thank god for JB weld and strong bones.

Upon initial setup I make sure the rear bag has been pounded flat to the bench and then tap the rear of the stock into the bag. I then get lined up with target and check for smooth sliding through the front rest to the stop. After firing, the rear bag on my rifle always settles just a little each time so as I am sliding the rifle forward to the stop I slightly squeeze the rear bag with my left hand. This places my point of aim slightly low. I then reach up and gorilla grip the forend and actually hang my weight on the rifle. I one hand hold 06 and below but magnums get held or in my case accuracy suffers. I feel the rifle is basically turned from a 12-17 pound to 150 pound plus rifle by incorporating this type of hold.

Another nice tip on the subject of bags is to dunk them in water. Then slam the rear bag on a heavy table and reinstall the front bag into the leveled front rest. Then place and level the rifle in the two and tap the forend and butt into the bags and let them dry with the rifle sitting in this position. The leather hardens and provides a perfect fit to the rifle. Add a touch of baby powder and you are all set. With a bipod I don't use a rear rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.