Baer wildcat ballistics...Any info?

Meister

Baer custom rifles has a few new rounds out, one of which is a necked down 408 chey-tac. Anybody know anything about these rounds or heard anything about them. Doing some research on maybe building a new rifle with a custom action. Not sure I want to invest in a rifle if I have to rebarrel it every 650 rounds. 408 has excellent ballistics in and of itself, but bullet choices are few. The 338 version sounds like a great idea. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

i get up to Bruce's about once a week,he showed me the 33/408. i'm building a 33 but with a rem action,puts the chevy out of contention. i think it'll spit the 300's out around 3200 or so. what do you want to know,i can ask him next time i'm there. there was a thread going a week or so talking about this round.thread is called 338 snipe-tac, on page 5 of this catagory

I'm mainly wondering how big of a barrel eater it is. Does he have dies brass made? is this a showpiece or has he built a few of them.

Thanks!

From what Bruce told me He has it ironed out pretty well .He has a new Lawton action for it with a 10 shot mag,very cool. I ordered the action for a 276 Baer that is 416 rigby necked down to 7mm.Should be very fast. I will then be able to just switch barrels to 30 416 or 338 416 I have a bench gun built by Bruce 338 378 shoot wonderful about 3050 fps, so I would think maybe 3250 to 3350 for 408

long range hunting post...338 SnipeTac

Here is a listing for one of my posts. Kirby is also building his version of the 338-408 imp. Tests that i have done so far has the 300grn pill running over 3400fps. I have a Lawton 408 single shot action that will be for sale soon. I have to finish building the bolt and titainum firing pin. Barrel life would be in the same area as the 338-416 rigby imp type cases. I havent shot mine enough to know how the bbl is. I have some 350gn Wildcat bullets to try in mine, hopfully in a couple weeks i can fire them up. I got some US869 powder in to try as well.

Dave

I read the thread about your current projects with great interest! When you get into custom actions it's a pretty grey area of what's best. More like whatevers best for you.

If my info is correct, the 408 CT case was derived from a 505 gibbs. I was thinking of going to the 408 but bullet choices are 1 ultra expensive design or blanks.

I was wanting to be able to purchase or readily form brass without worring about it. Seems like a lot of people are looking at building the same mousetrap but using slightly different patterns. Is baers' design for the round considerably different than either of yours?

How much would the 60 degree action with a 10 round mag in steel cost?

The reason for my quest: kill a pdog at over 1 mile.... Now everyone understands!

Meister:

[ QUOTE ]
I read the thread about your current projects with great interest! When you get into custom actions it's a pretty grey area of what's best. More like whatevers best for you.

If my info is correct, the 408 CT case was derived from a 505 gibbs. I was thinking of going to the 408 but bullet choices are 1 ultra expensive design or blanks.

I was wanting to be able to purchase or readily form brass without worring about it. Seems like a lot of people are looking at building the same mousetrap but using slightly different patterns. Is baers' design for the round considerably different than either of yours?

How much would the 60 degree action with a 10 round mag in steel cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> </font> Yes the shell came from the 505 gibbs, but has been upgraded to heavier brass for the high pressure round. The case is easy to neck down and fire form, mine has the 35 deg shoulder with .020 body taper. I talked with Kirby and his has a slightly tighter body taper and sharper shoulder. I dont know what Baer has on his. The case has ample room for large amounts of slow burning powder. I would guess they will all perform similar.

I dont have 10 round magazines, that would be just huge! I am working on a 4 round for hunters.

I sell my single shot actions for 1000.00 in stainless, Titanium are 2000.00 I have a Lawton action that will be availible soon.

As BD408 correctly stated I am just in the middle of my 338 Allen Mag development. Here is a pic:

382150.jpg

Left to right:
7mm Allen Mag(338 Lapua based for size comparision), 338-408 CT virgin case ready for fireforming, formed 338 Allen Mag and finally the 408 CT parent case.

Powder capacity of the 338-408 CT virgin case holds 166 gr of AA8700 filled to the case mouth. The 338 Allen Mag holds 178 gr.

The 338 Sniper Tac, 338 Big Baer and my 338 Allen Mag are all basically the same thing in slightly different packages. Slight differences in body taper, shoulder angle and shoulder position but end result performance will be extremely similiar with all.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Looks good! Yours is a bit longer than mine in the shoulder area. I pushed my neck down till it met the 408 case shoulder. I think the neck measured .350 long after forming. Did you use the formula i gave you for fire forming? It looks like it formed good.

No matter what one a person chooses, they are Nasty! Could produce over 8,000 pounds of muzzel energy.

BD408,

Nope, that one was with 125 gr H-50BMG under a 300 gr SMK. Couldn't find any corn meal in the house. Next time I am in town I will pick some up and give her a whirl.

I agree, all are flat out impressive rounds.

guess I better order in the 375 AM reamer and get rolling on that one!!! Any thoughts on that? Custom bullets of course, around 400 gr ULD RBBT is what I am thinking, maybe 410-415 gr.

God forbid I actually slow down and enjoy what we have in our hands!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

The 375 was my first choice, when i got a 408c-t case in my grimmy fingers, a big smile went on my face...but no good LR bullets for the 375. If a guy was just wanting a 600yd gun i think what is out there would be good. Richard comes up with some of his masterpieces, i think that will really sail. A 400grn 375 with 850 or 900 BC Just think of it, 2000yds would be easy!!!! The gun really does perform good in the 408cal, just no bullets to choose from,"Richard is tring" The bigger bore helps with the large case capacity, little faster powder can be used. The 338 is great also, the 350grn bullets should make it a winner.
I have a box of Richards 350gn bullets, they appear to have soft points, and boat tails, what are the BC of these?

There is one seated in my SnipeTac below
[image][/image]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.