Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

how temp stable is the StaBall? I'm in montana so temps are nuts lol. I have heard multiple people say to use it in the 300wsm even the owner of badlands precision.
The person you're quoting/replying to with your question is the "owner of Badlands". It's quite temp stable as that's one of the big selling features of it.

how temp stable is the StaBall? I'm in montana so temps are nuts lol. I have heard multiple people say to use it in the 300wsm even the owner of badlands precision.
It is quite stable as far as far as I can tell. In the 243Win I tried it from 59-93F using the fast charges used shooting 100 gr bullets and saw <10 fps difference in speed at the higher temperatures with no signs of excessive pressure developing. It also is potentially useful in a lot of cartridges. I was looking through several old Hodgdon Annual Manuals and every cartridge that is able to use H100v can potentially use StaBall since SB is a little slower burning than H100v. I have recently found that you can use 1-2 gr more SB for the same bullet than was specified for H100v. I always start at the lower charge range first and work up to guard against some idiosyncratic behavior.

Last edited:
It is quite stable as far as far as I can tell. In the 243Win I tried it from 59-93F using the fast charges used shooting 100 gr bullets and saw <10 fps difference in speed at the higher temperatures with no signs of excessive pressure developing. It also is potentially useful in a lot of cartridges. I was looking through several old Hodgdon Annual Manuals and every cartridge that is able to use H100v can potentially use StaBall since SB is a little slower burning than H100v. I have recently found that you can use 1-2 gr more SB for the same bullet than was specified for H100v. I always start at the lower charge range first and work up to guard against some idiosyncratic behavior.
Thank you that's actually very helpful, hopefully I can pick some up soon, I just got some 175gr bulldozers I want to test with SB or superfomance they both seam to be great for the 300wsm

Thank you that's actually very helpful, hopefully I can pick some up soon, I just got some 175gr bulldozers I want to test with SB or superfomance they both seam to be great for the 300wsm
I tried staball 6.5 in a 300 wsm with the 175, I was able to get a little more performance than H4831sc with better load density.

Perhaps we need a dedicated StaBall thread lol. I picked up an 8#er when H4350 was getting scarce. Of course, the next week I ended up with several pounds of H4350 :rolleyes:. Now i'm wondering what to do with the Staball...

Perhaps my Lazz Patriot would like it. God knows it likes RL17, I could use the extra temp stability.

t

What was the OAL of that load? Would this go in a short action?
In a short action (approximately 3") you would need an OAL of 2.88". The 175 gr boat tail would be in the powder space. You might be better off using the 150 BD2 at that OAL StaBall could be used in both instances but with the 175 you probably will need reduce the power charge. I was going to test the 150 gr from a short action Savage at 2.88" with a 11.5 twist barrel to see what speed I get snd whether in cold weather the bullet is stable.

What was the OAL of that load? Would this go in a short action?
At .050" off a factory chamber, it was 2.930", and was 2840 fps with 65.3 grains H4831sc. No pressure here, but it shot the best in a 600 yard ladder. Pressure signs showed up on the norma brass at a little over 2900 fps, 2925 or so, and a little over 67 grains. Of course, do your own workup, especially with these bullets, don't just jump on this load. 24" proof barreled factory savage lightweight. It was in a short action. The bullet was pretty dang far down into the case.

20220410_092108.jpg

In a short action (approximately 3") you would need an OAL of 2.88". The 175 gr boat tail would be in the powder space. You might be better off using the 150 BD2 at that OAL StaBall could be used in both instances but with the 175 you probably will need reduce the power charge. I was going to test the 150 gr from a short action Savage at 2.88" with a 11.5 twist barrel to see what speed I get snd whether in cold weather the bullet is stable.
The rifle I am running is a long action chambered to the 300wsm, so seating what have you found the bulldozers to like for a jump?