Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I have found that elk being hit in the it splits. I have seen this several times. I did it twice myself. They both either drop in their tracks or slid to a stop. Both elk there legs shot out to the sides when hit. Again one was standing and the other was running. I wouldn't have taken the running shot, but it was wounded, and needed to be brought down. I don't take running shots unless there is a problem with a bad hit. It wasn't me that made the bad hit either. I am not saying neither I haven't done a bad shot.

Anyone load up the 100gr in 243? Brainstorming rebuilding my 243 savage, and am thinking the 100gr will be a bit too long to load at mag length.

Anyone load up the 100gr in 243? Brainstorming rebuilding my 243 savage, and am thinking the 100gr will be a bit too long to load at mag length.
the Savage short action used for the .243 Win uses a 3" magazine and as such it accommodates the .243 100 gr BD2 just fine as the pics demonstrate. The ARC magazine fits the Savage action. Rifles like Kimber have shorter mags so interfere with gaining the full potential of the cartridge because it frustrates the use of high BC bullets

Attachments

• 3D818118-E0C5-410F-A0F8-F69ECE16BF7F.jpeg
    3D818118-E0C5-410F-A0F8-F69ECE16BF7F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • 5D68F033-F499-4CAA-80B0-B4AD4BB747F2.jpeg
    5D68F033-F499-4CAA-80B0-B4AD4BB747F2.jpeg
    894.3 KB · Views: 75
the Savage short action used for the .243 Win uses a 3" magazine and as such it accommodates the .243 100 gr BD2 just fine as the pics demonstrate. The ARC magazine fits the Savage action. Rifles like Kimber have shorter mags so interfere with gaining the full potential of the cartridge because it frustrates the use of high BC bullets
Thanks! My rifle has the tuperware stock with the top feed built in mag, so I'm looking for better stocks. Seems like the 2.95" AICS mags will work well.

Thanks! My rifle has the tuperware stock with the top feed built in mag, so I'm looking for better stocks. Seems like the 2.95" AICS mags will work well.
I think Savage makes an excellent "short" action because it is the right length. Any shorter compromises cartridge performance by forcing reloaders to use inferior shorter low BC bullets. American Rifle Company also makes superb short actions on the higher end of the scale that use the same detachable magazines as the Savage. They also have a common tenon thread. I have no commercial interest in either company. I simply love and use their actions. I agree. The cheap stocks used on many "budget" Savage rifles leave a lot to be desired. Get yourself a stock that will use a high quality bottom metal that will accommodate the ARC mags.

The other thing I like from Savage is the barrel nut system. McGowan barrels has adapted this system to work with Rem 700 actions (Remage syste). Below is a conversion from a 375Ruger to a 6.5PRC. The latter shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA. Will use that conversion to develop loads for our 125 gr BD2 bullet for that case to make it work to 1000 yds. The Long action Rem 700 I bought from Brownell's. It is perfect for the 6.5PRC since the action is long enough to seat the bullets out if needed and it feeds flawlessly. Bolt face is the same magnum size as the 375 Ruger. The barrel nut allows for barrel changes without the use of head space gauges by simply using unfired brass as the go gauge and then after firing it push the shoulder back 0.002".

Attachments

• 4807DADE-29F4-43E0-A593-ADF293451F68.jpeg
    4807DADE-29F4-43E0-A593-ADF293451F68.jpeg
    963.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 29BFB1C9-9E8C-44E2-9128-C8178DEFD772.jpeg
    29BFB1C9-9E8C-44E2-9128-C8178DEFD772.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
I like my nuts,my gunsmith hates my nuts,but he makes me wait.......sometimes a long time.I'm old.Tick-Tok.Can't wait.Other folks say nuts give em a bad taste in thier mouth,they like using their shoulders,cause they have tons of money and don't know what a socket set is or how to use a nut splitter.I still use my shoulders sometimes,getting harder to do,dam chuck key.I just got a pair of nuts in the mail,they came in a sack,with lube and scratches .Ugh.I use an old barrel,wacked off about 6-7",I put both my nuts on,snug on em good, not to tight,don't want to hurt em or scratch em.I clean my nuts, then I stick em in my lathe, check to see if they square, if they are shiney ones or in the white, I polish em in the machine,then a good hand rub,then screw.......only then do you screw em on,with proper lube.

I like my nuts,my gunsmith hates my nuts,but he makes me wait.......sometimes a long time.I'm old.Tick-Tok.Can't wait.Other folks say nuts give em a bad taste in thier mouth,they like using their shoulders,cause they have tons of money and don't know what a socket set is or how to use a nut splitter.I still use my shoulders sometimes,getting harder to do,dam chuck key.I just got a pair of nuts in the mail,they came in a sack,with lube and scratches .Ugh.I use an old barrel,wacked off about 6-7",I put both my nuts on,snug on em good, not to tight,don't want to hurt em or scratch em.I clean my nuts, then I stick em in my lathe, check to see if they square, if they are shiney ones or in the white, I polish em in the machine,then a good hand rub,then screw.......only then do you screw em on,with proper lube.
I agree. One needs to preserve and treat their nuts well 😉. On guns they make changing barrels pretty easy with less up front cost.

I think Savage makes an excellent "short" action because it is the right length. Any shorter compromises cartridge performance by forcing reloaders to use inferior shorter low BC bullets. American Rifle Company also makes superb short actions on the higher end of the scale that use the same detachable magazines as the Savage. They also have a common tenon thread. I have no commercial interest in either company. I simply love and use their actions. I agree. The cheap stocks used on many "budget" Savage rifles leave a lot to be desired. Get yourself a stock that will use a high quality bottom metal that will accommodate the ARC mags.
I'm building a 6 Creedmoor using the ARC Nucleus action and a 7 twist, 20" Preferred Barrel Blank shouldered prefit, to specifically run the 100 Gr Badlands. Barrel is about 8-10 weeks out and is the last part of the build I'm waiting on. Any load data to start would be appreciated.

I agree. One needs to preserve and treat their nuts well 😉. On guns they make changing barrels pretty easy with less up front cost.
Love my remage! Definitely will do more!
Love tinkering with projects, wife says I tinker too much.
I made a mistake the other day telling her I might get into knife making……got a look and was told I'd have to get rid of my other hobbies 🙄.

Love my remage! Definitely will do more!
Love tinkering with projects, wife says I tinker too much.
I made a mistake the other day telling her I might get into knife making……got a look and was told I'd have to get rid of my other hobbies 🙄.
Too bad we can't screen them for these attitudes before we marry them. Got to love them regardless. They still can be your best friend.

I'm building a 6 Creedmoor using the ARC Nucleus action and a 7 twist, 20" Preferred Barrel Blank shouldered prefit, to specifically run the 100 Gr Badlands. Barrel is about 8-10 weeks out and is the last part of the build I'm waiting on. Any load data to start would be appreciated.
I don't have a 6mm Creed but judging from the results I have gotten in the 243Win I would definitely try the StaBall6.5 ball powder. It yields excellent speeds. The pic below is some Hornady data that lists several powders and charges you could use with that round for 100 gr bullets. H100V is slightly faster burning than SB6.5 so you could start with a mid range charge of SB6.5 that is the same weight as the H100V. Also, you can use a COAL that allows a proper fit in the magazine. Then increase the powder charge incrementally watching for pressure signs. Use initially regular primers instead of mag primers. Don't be afraid of compressing SB6.5 a bit if you have to. Those bullets can work very well with jumps as long as 0.100", but measure your jump with a dummy round loaded to a mag length so you know where you are. SB6.5 is quite temp stable and packs and compresses well. So far I have not seen idiosyncratic behavior with that powder. The load you develop should hold true over wide temp ranges. Use about 0.002"neck tension and lube the necks with powdered graphite and Qtip.

Attachments

• 15909293-19F7-451F-B0DE-3A0E447B945D.png
    15909293-19F7-451F-B0DE-3A0E447B945D.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 40
I don't have a 6mm Creed but judging from the results I have gotten in the 243Win I would definitely try the StaBall6.5 ball powder. It yields excellent speeds. The pic below is some Hornady data that lists several powders and charges you could use with that round for 100 gr bullets. H100V is slightly faster burning than SB6.5 so you could start with a mid range charge of SB6.5 that is the same weight as the H100V. Also, you can use a COAL that allows a proper fit in the magazine. Then increase the powder charge incrementally watching for pressure signs. Use initially regular primers instead of mag primers. Don't be afraid of compressing SB6.5 a bit if you have to. Those bullets can work very well with jumps as long as 0.100", but measure your jump with a dummy round loaded to a mag length so you know where you are. SB6.5 is quite temp stable and packs and compresses well. So far I have not seen idiosyncratic behavior with that powder. The load you develop should hold true over wide temp ranges. Use about 0.002"neck tension and lube the necks with powdered graphite and Qtip.
Excellent info, Thank you. I'll share back my results when I start testing.

Recent Posts