Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I'd like to try the SBD2 205's in my 300 RUM next, but recommended twist is 8.5 and I have a 9 twist, 29". She's throated for 250 ELDM's, so seating should be fine. Anyone try the 205's with only a 9 twist?

Debating between the 140 gr and 150 gr Bulldozer 2 in 7mm.

The 140 gr seems to beat the 150 gr on drop to 800 which is my absolute max under ideal conditions. Better drop and equal wind drift, only thing it gives up is a little bit on energy. This is at 7500 DA assuming a MV of 3050 for the 140's and 2950 for the 150's.

This is out of a 22" 1/8 7 SAUM on a short action. Other consideration is I've got a bunch of H4350 which would be ideal for the 140's and only 2lb of H4381/H4381SC which I would run with 150s.

Leaning 140s. Any input would be appreciated!

5688A8B9-6C53-4893-BDC2-41267CFA08B7.jpeg

2E372319-3142-48D9-80C6-E676022C64FA.jpeg

The 140 gr seems to beat the 150 gr on drop to 800 which is my absolute max under ideal conditions. Better drop and equal wind drift, only thing it gives up is a little bit on energy. This is at 7500 DA assuming a MV of 3050 for the 140's and 2950 for the 150's.

This is out of a 22" 1/8 7 SAUM on a short action. Other consideration is I've got a bunch of H4350 which would be ideal for the 140's and only 2lb of H4381/H4381SC which I would run with 150s.

View attachment 330112
View attachment 330113
They are ballistically close enough, I'm not sure it matters that much. I have to assume you are dialing, and so drop is more or less irrelevant unless your scope doesn't have the extra .2mils.
The only difference I can see, that might matter is the extra energy, if you subscribe to energy on target. And recoil, the 150gr will have slightly more.
Load them both and figure out which on your rifle likes better.

If your rifle has the twist, the 160gr makes a difference.

View attachment 330112
View attachment 330113
As stated, ballistically they are pretty even. With monos, velocity @ impact is important, but more importantly, what is your twist rate?

I had an opportunity to try out the 6.5mm 125 BD2 bullets on an acid hunt this weekend. Im
Mixed on the results. I have a 260AI with a 7.5 twist Brux barrel. These average 3151fps with my load process.

I shot an axis the was slightly quartered to me at about 70 yards. Entry was on the front point of the shoulder and exited around the 2nd rib. She instantly dropped her front end but quickly regained her composure and managed to run about 60 yards. I could see here the entire time and she finally fell and flipped a bit.

After seeing she was down for good, I got down and went straight to the site of the impact. There was zero blood to be found at the impact site. I could see the ground disturbance on the path she ran and again found zero blood until where she fell.

Entrance wound was caliber size as expected, the shoulder was destroyed and exit hole was at best 1.5x caliber diameter.

When skinning her out the internal damage at the entrance was substantial. One lung completely destroyed, rear of 2nd lung was damaged, front of diaphragm and liver were damaged. Top of heart was clipped and did find holes and fragments in the heart.

At the end of the day the bullet works and killed the animal but I have serious concerns with the lack of a blood trail. Had I been in an area with heavy brush, recovery would have been very difficult.

I'll continue to test them but initial impressions have me concerned.

Get a 338 Lapua Ackley Improved if you want blood on the ground. Shoot the 250 to 300 grain bullets. Will be plenty of blood on the ground.

Probably even have some meat on the ground.

Get a 338 Lapua Ackley Improved if you want blood on the ground. Shoot the 250 to 300 grain bullets. Will be plenty of blood on the ground.

Probably even have some meat on the ground.
yup, some guys want to slide a needle through cheesecloth and expect a big hole on the offside

bigger is always better

Sounds to me like it worked good. Dead animal and substantial internal damage. Exit was larger than entrance. Sometimes they just don't bleed externally. I've rarely seen much blood at all on quartering towards or away shots. Jme.
Glad you were successful on your hunt. Any pics?

I had an opportunity to try out the 6.5mm 125 BD2 bullets on an acid hunt this weekend. Im
Mixed on the results. I have a 260AI with a 7.5 twist Brux barrel. These average 3151fps with my load process.

I shot an axis the was slightly quartered to me at about 70 yards. Entry was on the front point of the shoulder and exited around the 2nd rib. She instantly dropped her front end but quickly regained her composure and managed to run about 60 yards. I could see here the entire time and she finally fell and flipped a bit.

After seeing she was down for good, I got down and went straight to the site of the impact. There was zero blood to be found at the impact site. I could see the ground disturbance on the path she ran and again found zero blood until where she fell.

Entrance wound was caliber size as expected, the shoulder was destroyed and exit hole was at best 1.5x caliber diameter.

When skinning her out the internal damage at the entrance was substantial. One lung completely destroyed, rear of 2nd lung was damaged, front of diaphragm and liver were damaged. Top of heart was clipped and did find holes and fragments in the heart.

At the end of the day the bullet works and killed the animal but I have serious concerns with the lack of a blood trail. Had I been in an area with heavy brush, recovery would have been very difficult.

I'll continue to test them but initial impressions have me concerned.
I have seen this with a few animals if the holes are around centerline of higher, sometimes the blood doesn't get up to that point and start coming out heavy. I have also seen it on the really fat mule deer we shoot occasionally, they have so much fat it plugs the holes if they aren't massive (likely not the case with your axis). I of course wasn't there, but I read destroyed shoulder where bullet hit bone, good internal damage on the animal, two holes, and animal made a 60 yard death sprint. Seems like the bullet was effective? Lack of a blood trail just happens sometimes with certain hits, however it can sometimes be an issue.

If in dense brush, I would probably try to aim a touch low for a heart shot, low holes leave better trails. That, or high shoulder/base of spine, try to damage spine and drop animal in tracks. Or head shot, if close/steady enough.

Thanks for the report!

I started working with the SBD2 (275) in my .338 Lapua. I need to shoot them at distance, but anxious to try them on an animal.