Badger Repeatability

Ian M

We recently removed a 4-16 Nikon Tactical scope from a .308 Win. rifle and replaced it with the new Bushnell tactical scope for some evaluating. When finished we took it off and re-torqued the Badgers that are on the Nikon, cranked on the 680 yard come-up and hit the steel at point of aim twice (we had set up a little short of 700 because of terrain).
I expected him to check the 100 yard zero since we had a target at 100 but my buddy shot at 680 with the freshly mounted scope - no boresighting, no sweat.
Nice performance from those Badgers and the Nikon as far as repeatability.

Ian

Seems like I'm always moving scopes and have had the same repeatability experiences with the Badger rings and bases. Sometimes I bring 2 scopes for 1 rifle, both preZeroed and they work fine.

Ian--
I've had the same experiences with the new NightForce rings and bases. You must have been shooting with Big Sky-- He related the same story over on 24 Hour Campfire...
grin.gif

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Chris,
Troy just came up north for some shooting, he has been up a couple of times now and I believe he is enjoying shooting with us. Also had him shooting the electronic moving target system, until my partner shot the power cable with a slightly errant .22 LR bullet. Easy to fix fortunately but had to be done back home. We packed up and headed out to shoot LR.

Bottom line seems to be if the bolts are torqued properly the scope comes back extremely close to the original positon. Steel on steel.

Brent,

To my knowledge, Badger Ordnance only makes one piece bases. FWIW, I have had the same excellent results as the others, and will be working out a zero chart so that I can switch scopes between rifles this fall. I wouldn't trust other base/ring combo's to be repeateable, but have complete confidence in the badgers.

FatBoy...

Brent,
We are using one piece bases, the military seems to like to call them rails or Picatinny rails. I use Near Manufacturing and Badgers, both are excellent, have 20 moa slope. There are a few others. Also have a Leupold MK4 that does not have the slope.

They are a little heavier than other bridge type bases but they are so uniform that you can even switch scopes from rifle to rifle with good results. The other requirement is the use of 65 in/pound torque wrenches for uniform tension on the 1/2" nuts that clamp the rings to the bases.

I'll add the Burris "Signature ZEE" bases to the list.

I use them on all my 1" scopes, so that I can have my 100yd zero at the bottom of the elevation adjustment, and have all "UP". They always come back to zero, even on my egg and crow rifles that shoot 1/4" groups... the 1/4" groups are always in the center of crosshairs.

They fit the Picatinny, MK4, Nightforce, and weaver bases.

CatShooter.

If you buy the 0.020" set it comes with 0.00", 0.005", 0.010" and 0.020" inserts in them. I use a minus 0.020" insert on the bottom in front and plus 0.020" insert on the top front. On the rear bottom a plus 0.20" and a minus 0.020 on the top rear for a total of forty moa max. They work Great. The Burris part # is 626018 (.020" Insert Set) for 1" rings though. They have a 0.010" set but get the 0.020"s, they have + and - zeros, fives and tens in them too if you need them.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.