Bad Remington?

littletoes

Walked through the gun store today, asked to see a Remington VS in left hand. The clerk came back with an unopened box. He took out the rifle and inserted the bolt. He then tried to close the bolt. It would not close, he then tried to force it. I stopped him there and told him to never force a bolt. When the manager came over I told him to send it back to remington with a nasty letter, he said that is exactly what he was going to do.

Sounds like the front action screw was just a tad long. Not a major deal, but also not something you expect on a new rifle.

That's not the first time I've heard them never getting test fired either.

Glad you got a nice shooter out of it there. I kind of wonder if a problem other than the action screw was causing this, with them not just fixing such a simple problem, know what I mean?

It's not just Remington. All the major manufacurers use automated systems to put together their products. We, the tight-assed public, want everything cheap and plentiful and don't understand what is about to happen because there is not "middle class jobs" now and forever more.

I've seen Wins, Brownings, Savage(not as much) all have problems. For the most part some of the well known European firearms have a higher quality control on just about every operation but they have a different basic philosophy and expect a higher level of personal attention. We have only ourselves to blame.

I won't buy anything except an American made Savage or a Tikka. I just turn whatever I'm tired off into whatever new toy is out on the marker and I want to play with, but that isn't good for the economy because I don't keep my money moving in large amounts.

We want instant gratification, cheap fast food and cars, cheap wine and women (no denigration inplied or intended), political correctness, something to gripe about, and have NO BA**S.

Quality control is set to a certain level and anything that gets out of control and gets out to the public is just fixed without a question. Just about anything you buy now if it isn't right the store just takes it back and gives you a new one as long as you have your sales slip. The store returns it to the mfg and gets a credit, no problem, no muss, no fuss. You are happy as a clam and just about as thinking, many people have low paying jobs handling this stuff, the money flows, and everyone is happy, relatively speaking.

I do think the products we have are a He** of a lot better and cheaper than "in the good old days", but we have found that plastic is better than aluminum or steel, we don't want things to last forever and a day, craftsmanship is something you read in OLD books, who cares...its party time and TV watching or videos are far better than monopoly, chess, playing cards and talking or parcheezy?.

My Rem 700 Sendero is a better product than the 721's in most respects (arguably), I have/had both models, many times. My Savage is cheap and outs shoots, out of the box, most other brands, and keeps turning into different calibers whenever I see that strange looking wrench. (I keep that knobby looking thing hidden).

No matter what the problem was with the Remington neither the customer or the clerk knew what to do or how to handle the problem other than sending it back. It may have been as simple as grinding off the action screw (screw length out of spec, torque wrench out of spec, wood stock turning machine out of spec or synthetic stock mold out of spec) to the bolt lugs not cut correctly, to the receiver not cut to spec. Here again the clerk was probably just that. There to show you something and take your money. Low paid, not trained much, not expected to know anything other than how to work the register and capable of handling 50 lbs, and no reflection on his/her capabilities, that just the way it is. This is our world now. We made it this way, we have to live with it. In time it will change again, and again, and again.

Hey, America is a great place to live, isn't it!!!!

Well Makatak, I agree to a point. I asked to see the rifle, the clerk told me "no" and placed it back in the box. I told him the screw was probably too long. Funny.

Like Makatak said, its not just Remington. I have a friend who got a new Weatherby MK V not long ago and IT DID NOT HAVE A CHAMBER...It had a test target included in the box, but no CHAMBER.Figure that one out?!?>>
Weatherby was more than happy to upgrade him to better rifle WITH a chamber after they found out..
grin.gif

Whoops!!!Got a little carried away on that one. Been looking at, not reading, too many post at the "OTHER" site. I think we have sued ourselves into a deep hole and everyone is completely gunshy no matter what the situation and sales people are taught to be cautious.

Just how good was the Weatherby target. Maybe a guy should have kept that one for braggin' rights.

The present will always be sorted out in the future, with the winners writing the history books. Isn't that what someone more astute than myself said a long time ago? Just another case of hindsite is always 20-20.

The worst day of shooting was always a very good day.
grin.gif

The biggest problem is, I'm still set on a Remington! At least they make the VS in left hand. I don't think Winchester makes anything similiar for a lefty! I don't think I know of a smith that will go with me to inspect the rifle before purchase. I am thinking of taking a straight edge with me at least, so's to check alignment of base tap's.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: littletoes ]

Are you sure the bolt wasn't locked. You know with new lock they have on the back of the bolt. I did that one time.

later

I bought a Remington Sendero 25-06 that ended up having a ridge in the middle of the chamber shoulder that imprinted the reverse on a fired case. You could see it with a light shining down into the chamber. I sent it back to Remington and they put a new barrel AND receiver on the rifle, guess it's cheaper than just swapping the barrel out.

It came back and shoots very small groups with 75 gr VMAX Hornady's. I loaded up 2 three round sets and fired them and it scared me they were so good. The second set plopped into one slightly larger than .250 hole. I loaded up 2 more three round setsjust to check and all 6 went into another .300" hole and I quit testing. It is a maximun load of H4350 from the Hodgdon #27 manual seated out as far as I can and still hold the buller in the case. I have it sighted in at +3" at 150 yds and if I can see it in my Leupold 6-20 Target scope, it's history.

I was totally pi**ed because I bought the rifle just in time for load development for a rodent hunt. I missed the hunt, no biggy, but I'm well pleased with the rifle now. I won't buy another Remington as long as I live or recommend Remington to anyone I like, but this rifle will stay in my good graces for a long time to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.