BAD remington experience

Gurnz

And it came from the factory with a FLAW! The response i got was "I recently purchased a Remington sendero in 7mm mag. Took a couple months to save up for my mark 4 scope but finally got it before labor day weekend. Got my scope mounted and test loads made and headed to the range. Needless to say, I was excited to sit behind my new rifle. To make a long story short, I got to shoot it twice because it wouldn't eject my first brass. I used my cleaning to tap it out and thought I would try it again. Same result. I examined brass and bolt and found nothing wrong but didn't even have a nick on the brass where the extractor tried to get it. This happened on noon sept 2. I immediately called Remington but they were already closed for the holiday weekend by 3:00 their time. Now i'm ****ed. Really ****ed. I took the rifle to my FFL. To be sent back to Remington. They said they would contact Remington and send the rifle back as soon as Remington sent them the required tag to place on the rifle to be sent back. THAT TOOK 2 WEEKS! Just to get the tag so my FFL can send it back! NOW I'M REALLY ****ED! So I call Remington to see how long it will be before I get my rifle and they say 4 weeks! ***???? They say that they have to take the rifles in the order they receive them. I explained that my rifle was new and the response I got was "once it is in your name it's used". So now I will be waiting 6 and a half weeks for my NEW rifle that I received with a factory FLAW! I missed the high hunt with it and will probably miss general season with it as well. Remington is lacking. Lacking in customer service and quality control. My FFL said they have sent 5 new remingtons back this year that all had factory flaws. I know a lot of people love Remington but I thought I would share a story from the other side. Feel free to email this to remington

And it came from the factory with a FLAW! The response i got was "I recently purchased a Remington sendero in 7mm mag. Took a couple months to save up for my mark 4 scope but finally got it before labor day weekend. Got my scope mounted and test loads made and headed to the range. Needless to say, I was excited to sit behind my new rifle. To make a long story short, I got to shoot it twice because it wouldn't eject my first brass. I used my cleaning to tap it out and thought I would try it again. Same result. I examined brass and bolt and found nothing wrong but didn't even have a nick on the brass where the extractor tried to get it. This happened on noon sept 2. I immediately called Remington but they were already closed for the holiday weekend by 3:00 their time. Now i'm ****ed. Really ****ed. I took the rifle to my FFL. To be sent back to Remington. They said they would contact Remington and send the rifle back as soon as Remington sent them the required tag to place on the rifle to be sent back. THAT TOOK 2 WEEKS! Just to get the tag so my FFL can send it back! NOW I'M REALLY ****ED! So I call Remington to see how long it will be before I get my rifle and they say 4 weeks! ***???? They say that they have to take the rifles in the order they receive them. I explained that my rifle was new and the response I got was "once it is in your name it's used". So now I will be waiting 6 and a half weeks for my NEW rifle that I received with a factory FLAW! I missed the high hunt with it and will probably miss general season with it as well. Remington is lacking. Lacking in customer service and quality control. My FFL said they have sent 5 new remingtons back this year that all had factory flaws. I know a lot of people love Remington but I thought I would share a story from the other side. Feel free to email this to remington
Man I feel for ya but think about it... 5 that got away with a "factory flaw" vs tens of thousands that didn't.

Yes in this case I'd say they have a real customer service issue, but the solution to that would be to calm down and then call and try to work your way up the ladder until you get to someone who can give you a little help getting your issue resolved faster.

When dealing with complaints I promise you it's the nice polite guy who is more likely to get moved up the ladder vs the guy who is loud, cussing, etc.

Since it came with a factory flaw your dealer if he's a "remington factory authorized dealer" should have some options including replacing the rifle or they used to anyhow.

That was 5 remingtons sent back from ONE FFL DEALER in a year. Even if they sold 50 this year that's still not a very good average. I really wanted a good experience with Remington but it hasn't gotten there yet. The FFL only acts as a shipping point to do the paperwork. They are a small gun shop in rural Washington. Most authorized Remington dealers will not tell you how many they have shipped back for repairs because that's BAD for their business. The FFL I deal with has no real obligations or loyalties to Remington.

What is the flaw, specifically? Needs new extractor? Did you check to see if something was lodged under it? Did ya have a gunsmith look at it? Mine would have diagnosed the issue for free and giben me a quote. I know it is their responsibility since but if it was a cheap fix i may have let my smith doit and had the rifle working within hours. Just sayin...

Extractor was fine. an empty brass clipped into the bolt face just fine but wouldn't grab it when you closed the bolt. A gunsmith would have been great but they are in short order around here and usually at least 2 weeks out. Plus it was a factory flaw so they had better fix it for free without any issues.

Every once in awhile a bad apple slips through the crack....I did :D My 8 yr old daughter had cochlear implants when she was 5. One way we chose the brand (only 3 at the time) of implant was based on internal failure rates. Less then a .100 chance of a failure rate...Well guess what, my daughter was that .100 chance, go figure. So in less than 6 months she was back in for another 4 hr surgery.

I don't shot factory rifles but I can tell you that my $3000 custom failed to cock the firing pin at one time while on a PD hunt, this was shortly after it had just been built with only about 50 rounds through her at the range....Go Figure!

Anyone who has ever owned their far share of any mass produced product has had a lemon. Your situation sucks because of the timing of it all, which is there ever a perfect time?

Good luck,

Jon

Every once in awhile a bad apple slips through the crack....I did :D My 8 yr old daughter had cochlear implants when she was 5. One way we chose the brand (only 3 at the time) of implant was based on internal failure rates. Less then a .100 chance of a failure rate...Well guess what, my daughter was that .100 chance, go figure. So in less than 6 months she was back in for another 4 hr surgery.

I don't shot factory rifles but I can tell you that my $3000 custom failed to cock the firing pin at one time while on a PD hunt, this was shortly after it had just been built with only about 50 rounds through her at the range....Go Figure!

Anyone who has ever owned their far share of any mass produced product has had a lemon. Your situation sucks because of the timing of it all, which is there ever a perfect time?

Good luck,

Jon
Yep. My first 700 bdl built circa 76 had so many different things out of square it was insane. 9 trips to Remington, still would not shoot right.

Finally after reaching the point of desperation I sent it to a local gun smith GGG in Stephenville, Tx.

He pulled it all apart, squared it, trued it, cut and set back and turned it into a literal one holer at 300yds.

My family had been through a couple of dozen prior and several dozen since without any of them needing more than a float/bedding to make them shoot sub MOA.

Sometimes a few get through that shouldn't, that simply happens with anything that is manufactured.

That was 5 remingtons sent back from ONE FFL DEALER in a year. Even if they sold 50 this year that's still not a very good average. I really wanted a good experience with Remington but it hasn't gotten there yet. The FFL only acts as a shipping point to do the paperwork. They are a small gun shop in rural Washington. Most authorized Remington dealers will not tell you how many they have shipped back for repairs because that's BAD for their business. The FFL I deal with has no real obligations or loyalties to Remington.
**** that is bad. He must have gotten his off of the lemon truck!

I feel for ya man, heck if I knew ya better I'd just loan you one to get you through.

Personally I'd probably just find a good used rifle to get through the season with and sell it after your's comes back performing.

Actually they have had several lemons, ( every model 700 since 1962 ) they have been trying to have them all recalled for sear engagement issues that have lead to several accidental discharges, some causing death or serious injury but the government claims they can not force a recall, this is the main reason the x-mark pro trigger came about and I have seen one of them slam fire. The little gun store closest to me has sent 4 back this year, 2 sps varmints due to burrs in the crown, an sps tactical and a sendero, those 2 had over .020" off center chambers. These remington freaks around here are getting pretty aggrivated.

Actually they have had several lemons, ( every model 700 since 1962 ) they have been trying to have them all recalled for sear engagement issues that have lead to several accidental discharges, some causing death or serious injury but the government claims they can not force a recall, this is the main reason the x-mark pro trigger came about and I have seen one of them slam fire. The little gun store closest to me has sent 4 back this year, 2 sps varmints due to burrs in the crown, an sps tactical and a sendero, those 2 had over .020" off center chambers. These remington freaks around here are getting pretty aggrivated.

I wasnt going to post anything until I read this... I for one respectfully disagree with your statement about EVERY model 700 since 1962 being a lemon.

I have owned many 700's and still have several of them and I have had no problems out of ANY of them. I have had used ones, new ones and also custom built ones and I repeat I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THEM!

Now I am sure that like other posters have said there have been some rifles that have slipped through the cracks of the QC department and maybe some have had a problem that lead to an accidental discharge, but not EVERY 700 made since 1962 has had issues. Now would I take one of mine, load it, stand in front of the muzzle and let you bang away on the rifle with a mallet to try to get it to A/D... no, but with normal use and care do I think that the 700 is a safe weapon... yes.

... And who is the "they" that you speak of that is trying to have the 700's recalled for sear engagement issues? Is it the people that you saw on t.v. a couple of years back when a news team was bashing Remington?

I'm not trying to bash you, but when you make a statement like you made you have got to figure that there will be someone that posts something that does not agree with what you posted.

Backwoods if you ae adamantly against Remington what is your action of choice?
I would noy go so far as to say every Savage prior to the accutrigger sucked, but I had bad luck with them. And due to my dads expeirience with Rugers in thr 70's he is still not a fan.

( every model 700 since 1962 ) I am not a Remington fan and only own one of their rifles (XR-100 Action only)....BUT, Man that is a BOLD statement that should be cited. (provide proof)

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts