Bad Glass in Sightron?

You know, I think I'm going to have to take back about all that I said. I did not mention this, but I was comparing that Barska with my Sightron looking through my patio window. This is what I can't figure out:

The Barska looks the same when looking through the window and taking it outside, but the Sightron looks 100x better when it is outside compared to when it is going through a window. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was the problem. Maybe I'll take them both outside and compare them again tomorrow, but for right now, I would say Sightron is making a comeback in my book.

I think you've jumped to an errant conclusion, and I was waiting for you to see the light. I don't see how you could ever hope to compare two scopes until you get them out in the field side by side. When I looked through the SIII glass at the Orlando Convention Center this past January, I could tell instantly it had some quality glass. When I then purchased one and compared it to my other scopes out in the field - side by side comparison, I wasn't one bit disappointed. You've got great glass in that scope, or you've got a lemon. Last possibility is you've got a bad set of eyes. I can't think of any other possibilities. Now that you've posted, you may make it easier for me to find another SIII at an attractive price. If your's is the current SIII, and your selling price is right, I may be inclined to relieve you of your problem.

You know, I think I'm going to have to take back about all that I said. I did not mention this, but I was comparing that Barska with my Sightron looking through my patio window. This is what I can't figure out:

The Barska looks the same when looking through the window and taking it outside
Well Duhhh!

I bet the glass will look the same in the dark also. Sightron SIII has top notch glass and their Big Sky SII is very close. They have their occasional bad ones just like any of the others: NF Optics, US Optics, Leupold, S&B, Swarovski, Zeiss, IOR....ect all have them.

GC

Last edited:
I made a post on here about a month ago about my experience with sightron. I bought a scope and was very dissapointed. It wasn't as clear as my 100 dollar bushnell. It was the older gen 6-24 SIII but was brand new in box. UPDATE: I sent the scope back to Sightron and they replaced it because of bad glass. I was hoping they would send me a new LR model for my inconvenience:) :D but they didn't. However, the scope I got back was 10 times better than the other one and is noticeably better than the buhsnell. I could tell the second I looked through it. However the FOV is still very small but I guess I can get over that. As long as the tracking stays put, I will be satisfied.

I'm glad this thread got turned around.......

I will tell you that I have been witness to the SIII (new and old gen) going up 15+ MOA and back down then back up and back down, and it has returned to zero flawlessly.

I'm sure I will be ordering another sometime soon.

I'm hoping Sightron will come out with a 4-16X SIII soon. The 6X power in the 6X24-50mm LR Mil-Dot is a bit too high for close range hunting situations I have potential to encounter in Alaska. The 24X power is great for the long-range shots, with very good resolution maintained at 24X. But the field of view at 6X is too limited for my comfort for close range shots - should I need to target a bear in camp or in the brush/bush in short order.

Last edited:
While I am going to hate admitting this, I think that it may be my fault that I could not focus the scope...

I pulled the scope off and took it to my dealer after calling sightron. EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE BY BOTH!

I may have had the scope rings on too tight and bound the internal adjustments...

My dealer focused it through all power ranges, and so can I now that it is off...

Will let you know in a few, I am heading to the range right now.

So, I feel like a complete ******.

Freaking thing shoots AWESOME!

How awesome is that? sub 1/2" group (5-shot) at 100 yards.

Sightron has my vote.

I apparently tightenend up the mounts just a little too much and froze the internals. Shoots like a dream and clear focus WAY farther than it will ever shoot. gun)

Just curious, how tight did you get the scope mounts? Any approximations would be nice. The reason I want to know, is so that I do not make the same mistake.

Wow! I didn't even think that was possible. Now I'm going to wonder whether I have them on too tight, choking the internal parts, or too loose, causing the scope to slip.

That's why you should use a quality set of rings and torque them to the proper specs. Which is usually 15 in/lbs to 20 in/lbs. You have to really watch about over tightening vertical split rings. They can put a hurt-un on a scope tube.

GC

Well, in honesty, I dont have an inch-pound wrench, so the best I can offer is "snug". I really did not think I had them on that tight, but apparently I did.

If anyone has a desire to own a sightron and wants an opinion, buy one.
Once mine was "properly" installed, it is as crystal clear as you can get for under $2000.

Nope.. I do mine super tight and no issues..

Till it goes slack then back it off 1/2 turn isn't it?? :D

I can't believe that you can jam the internals with overtight rings....

Nope.. I do mine super tight and no issues..

Till it goes slack then back it off 1/2 turn isn't it?? :D

I can't believe that you can jam the internals with overtight rings....

Yeah that's kind of hard to believe. He must have had the rings on tighter than Rosie O'donnel eats...Well, maybe not that tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.