Bad Glass in Sightron?

bryceh12321

I just got a Sightron SIII 6-24LRMD, and the glass seems a bit dim to me. Does anyone know if Sightron ever accidentally sent out a crappy quality of glass?

Is it the new model with 100 moa windage and elevation adj.?

I just purchased a new in box older model SIII 6-24x50 with 50 moa adj that has glass that is sub par for what you expect from Sightron. It is not as clear as my Big Sky SII. I sent it back under warranty and ask for it to be replaced. They haven't replaced it yet because it takes a few weeks. From what I have read they have excellent customer service. We will see.

I read a post on another forum about a guy who purchased a SIII a while back that had less than high quality glass in it. He sent it back to Sightron and they replaced with no questions asked.

GC

Last edited:
Is it the new model with 100 moa windage and elevation adj.?

I just purchased a new in box older model SIII 6-24x50 with 50 moa adj that has glass that is sub par for what you expect from Sightron. It is not as clear as my Big Sky SII. I sent it back under warranty and ask for it to be replaced. They haven't replaced it yet because it takes a few weeks. From what I have read they have excellent customer service. We will see.

I read a post on another forum about a guy who purchased a SIII a while back that had less than high quality glass in it. He sent it back to Sightron and they replaced with no questions asked.

GC

Yeah I just tried, and I was able to adjust it about 48 MOA up. So, i'm pretty sure its the new model. Maybe I just had my expectations a little too high. I guess the sun was almost down for the day when I was looking through it too.

The new Model SIII I have looked through in the bright day light had glass that was very clear and bright.

GC

My SIII has excellent glass. I would call Sightron, they will make it right.

This is wierd stumbling on this thread.

I just bought on Friday a SII 6.5-20x50 and it was clear. Now, having fired 1 (yes, a single round), it is fuzzy and out of focus. The glass is clear at 6.5 power, but adjusting it at all to a higher magnification throws it out of focus. Tried to adjust focus and parallax, but to NO avail at all.

I must say that I am pretty upset about this. I will call sightron tomorrow, but I have a shoot coming up very quickly and I need as much time to get used to it as possible. I might just have to return it and get another scope model...just hate to do it because the scope was highly recommended.

This is wierd stumbling on this thread.

I just bought on Friday a SII 6.5-20x50 and it was clear. Now, having fired 1 (yes, a single round), it is fuzzy and out of focus. The glass is clear at 6.5 power, but adjusting it at all to a higher magnification throws it out of focus. Tried to adjust focus and parallax, but to NO avail at all.

I must say that I am pretty upset about this. I will call sightron tomorrow, but I have a shoot coming up very quickly and I need as much time to get used to it as possible. I might just have to return it and get another scope model...just hate to do it because the scope was highly recommended.

I noticed the same thing. The side focus at infinity doesn't even work. It seems like 3/4 way is the real infinity.

Here's what really ****es me off: My Sightron 6-24x next to my Barska Swat 6-24X; at full magnification the Sightron has a minimal (if ANY) of an improved picture. And the Sightron was over 3 times more $$$! It may just be because the sightron isn't mounted on a rifle and bipod yet, but you would think you'd be able to tell atleast some difference. I'm starting to wonder if Sightron hires people to get on these forums and tell everybody how great their scopes are.

Quote: Originally Posted by bryceh12321
"Yeah I just tried, and I was able to adjust it about 48 MOA up. So, i'm pretty sure its the new model."

It should have 100 MOA if it's a new generation model. The new gens are the only ones getting good reviews.

Quote: Originally Posted by bryceh12321
"Yeah I just tried, and I was able to adjust it about 48 MOA up. So, i'm pretty sure its the new model."

It should have 100 MOA if it's a new generation model. The new gens are the only ones getting good reviews.

Yeah, ~48 up and ~48 down is ~100 MOA.

Too Bad! Let us know about your customer service experience with them. Every scope MFG out there has a lemon or two:rolleyes:. Let's see if they make it right for you.:)

Man, I hate seeing this!

I recently had two SIII Sightrons....one I bought brand new just a few months ago, and the other I got with a used rifle purchase. I really liked the brand new one and therefore I was excited to have an SIII on the used package. When the used package came, I immediately noticed a difference in SIII scopes. On the used scope the lettering on the objective was all matte finished where as it was inlayed in gold on the new scope. The eye-piece and side focus was a little different as well. Both scopes were very clear, so I wasn't too concerned. However when using them both in the field, I noticed that the scope that came on the used package had a side focus that didn't seem to work so great. I couldn't get much adjustment out of it. Compared to the new version, it didn't seem to work at all.

I ended up calling Sightron and they confirmed that my used scope was an older generation of the SIII. You can tell because the new gen's have a serial or model number on the under side of the turret bell housing. The old models do not have that number.

That being said, I did like the new SIII enough to think I would purchase another if I get in that market, but I don't like what I am reading in this thread.

Man, I hate seeing this!

I recently had two SIII Sightrons....one I bought brand new just a few months ago, and the other I got with a used rifle purchase. I really liked the brand new one and therefore I was excited to have an SIII on the used package. When the used package came, I immediately noticed a difference in SIII scopes. On the used scope the lettering on the objective was all matte finished where as it was inlayed in gold on the new scope. The eye-piece and side focus was a little different as well. Both scopes were very clear, so I wasn't too concerned. However when using them both in the field, I noticed that the scope that came on the used package had a side focus that didn't seem to work so great. I couldn't get much adjustment out of it. Compared to the new version, it didn't seem to work at all.

I ended up calling Sightron and they confirmed that my used scope was an older generation of the SIII. You can tell because the new gen's have a serial or model number on the under side of the turret bell housing. The old models do not have that number.

That being said, I did like the new SIII enough to think I would purchase another if I get in that market, but I don't like what I am reading in this thread.

You know, I think I'm going to have to take back about all that I said. I did not mention this, but I was comparing that Barska with my Sightron looking through my patio window. This is what I can't figure out:

The Barska looks the same when looking through the window and taking it outside, but the Sightron looks 100x better when it is outside compared to when it is going through a window. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was the problem. Maybe I'll take them both outside and compare them again tomorrow, but for right now, I would say Sightron is making a comeback in my book.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.