Bad bottom metal inlet question

jsthntn247

Had my stock re-inletted from hinged floorplate to m5. Guy who did it went too deep on the front pillar. Now when I tighten up the action screws it puts a bind on the bottom metal and can't get the mag to lock up or the release to work on the bottom metal. If I only tighten the back screw (which seems the right depth) everything works fine and it feeds well. I can then tighten the front screw and everything locks up. Are there any shims I can bed on the front pillar to raise it up to the right depth?

I would measure the depth as it is currently, then measure the depth again with the front screw torqued down. The difference is how much material you need to add.
You could use this info once measured to drill out the pillar and bed a new one in place at the correct depth.
I have had to do this a few times, worst one was a Ruger M77 MKII that had a .050" bend when the front screw was tightened because the front angled pillar was put in at the wrong height. Loosening the middle screw showed the bend decrease even without a depth gauge attached!

Cheers.

I would measure the depth as it is currently, then measure the depth again with the front screw torqued down. The difference is how much material you need to add.
You could use this info once measured to drill out the pillar and bed a new one in place at the correct depth.
I have had to do this a few times, worst one was a Ruger M77 MKII that had a .050" bend when the front screw was tightened because the front angled pillar was put in at the wrong height. Loosening the middle screw showed the bend decrease even without a depth gauge attached!

Cheers.
This one is about .050 off as well. I thought about putting bedding compound on the front and setting the bottom metal in there and tightening the rear. Would basically be tightening it down on the pad built up by the compound.

Shim would work but I would just bed the whole bottom metal to the stock. It would be no different then bedding the barreled action on the top side. Wrap a layer or two of tape around the perimeter of the bottom metal and put plenty of release agent on it. Then you just need to find a way to support the bottom metal at the right height. I've done this once before by putting a couple of really small diameter brads on each side of the pillar. Tap them in to get the correct height and then glass bed the bottom metal in.

You can epoxy bed the bottom metal. I've had the same issues as you have. I beded with devcon titanium but you would be fine with a cheaper epoxy.

Thanks for all the advise. I couldn't find any washers of the right thickness so I just bedded it with the back screw tight. Worked out and feeds and functions fine now.

Attachments

• 101C2C6F-8E51-464E-8039-93509ACDF38E.jpeg
    101C2C6F-8E51-464E-8039-93509ACDF38E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • 12034908-C588-4774-99A4-188C2981552F.jpeg
    12034908-C588-4774-99A4-188C2981552F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
I have done that same thing before, only thing I did different was put steel washers in and bedded them in place. Probably accomplished the same thing as yours, looks good.