Backtail 892 yards with my 270 Allen.

Great shot Joe. Isn't it great when it all comes together? Compared to my usual black tail when I ever get one, that one is a hog. I expect to see quite a few more at even longer ranges. This is no lucky shot. Joe practices and studies constantly. For those that don't remember Joe bagged a near record muley last year, cold bore, one shot, at over 500 yards.

I know Joe and introduced him to LRH and the new to us, up and coming rifle smith named Kirby a few years ago. We have shot together off and on for some 20+ years now and I have had the pleasure to witness many pretty respectable (read amazing) shots with rifles and revolver. We cut our old school short range teeth shooting varmints across that same valley with production Ruger varminters in 22-250 estimating ranges and using holdovers from book drop tables. We still killed more than our fair share spotting for and backing each other up. That was 20+ years ago now. Great memories. Looking forward to many more but with a lot higher level of precision. Way to go!

Last edited:
"I gutted it at my 400-yard maker so I can shoot yotes off of the gut pile."

Great planning on your part!

Congratulations on a nice buck, taken well.

Regards, Guy

Great job! I really appreciate the nice pictures taken from both perspectives. They really give a good feel for the distance and the lay of the land. Much appreciated.

Nice job! What a good buck. Its good to see that your wife was helping you out aswell, and ome ipressive shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.