Backtail 892 yards with my 270 Allen.

joecool

I posted this on another forum that isn't so keen on long range hunting so bare with the intro.

270 Allen magnum and a 195 gr. wildcat bullet = dead Blacktail at 892 yards… Ok not really that simple it takes lots of practice and very good equipment do this. First you need a fine rifle capable of extreme accuracy (and the skill to use it) at long range's Kirby Allen builds such rifles, you also need a good range finder I use an swarovski, also a good weather meter I use the Kestrel 4000, and a extremely good Ballistic calculator the Exbal is about the best and I have that in a Dell axim, a scope level, also a good angle gauge on your rifle is needed. As I would be taking this shot at a 15% angle.

Anyways after spotting this Buck on the side of a very steep hill covered with fir reprod and brush I determined it was a shooter So I ranged it and feed all the info from the Kestrel and the Swarovski and angle gauge into Exbal it gave me a correction of 16.25 MOA and for 892 yards.

I made the correction on the 5.5-22x56 nightforce scope set up in my rest the one in the picture and rear bag and went prone in the dirt. My lovely wife was my spotter and about the time I was ready to shoot it starts raining hard about 500 yards on out. (Oh I forgot to mention there was no wind at all dead calm) rain isn't that big of a deal just cuts down on visibility a bit so I send the big 195 wildcat on its way I see the deer react to the hit and down it went then a big crrrrwoop came back.

I left my wife were I shot from and went to were thought I needed to be to find the Buck and was only about 20 yards off from were I thought it was. The hit was perfect right tight behind the shoulder and double lung shot.

shot from the red arrow.
892ydsfmaj7.jpg

the Buck and rifle
img4200im2.jpg

my ugly mug.
img4202ol5.jpg

my buddy he help get it out a big thanks to him
img4206do7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys... and for the record the pics of the deer and rifles isn't were the deer was shot. I gutted it at my 400-yard maker so I can shoot yotes off of the gut pile.

Absolutely great shot Joe !!

Got him square on the shoulder too.

How did the exit side look due to the big 195gr. wildcat ?

Mike

The 195 work great!!! actually it just missed the shoulder bone tucked in very tight behind it got a couple ribs one in and one out, exit hole wasn't bad at all about 1 inch. Not too much blood shot meat either. But this is the first kill on big game with it I had to wait a whole year to try the .270 out I got it a little late last year to make an attempt to hunt with it looks like the same is going to happen with my new .338 Kirby is building for me too. **** it….

WTG gret shooting. Good luck on the gut pile yotes. The 270AM is really something isnt it.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.