Backpacks?

I have had to replace the pull-tabs on the zippers on my smaller, newer Badlands packs with knotted cords. Almost every one of them has broken in short order. I haven't had an issue with my 4500, but I only used it on one trip. They look and feel sturdier than the smaller pack zippers though.

Strider: What did you use to replace the pull tabs on your Badlands with? Did you do it yourself or send the pack in for repair. I have 2 of the 2200's and the older one has blown just about every pull tab on it - no problems with the newer model at all to this point.

The eberlstock is a great pack until you add a lot of weight to it. At this point the weight tends to hang back. I believe this has to do with the location of the gun scabbard. I have packed many deer out with the J105 and while the pack is very durable and seems to have all the pockets in the right place it has some design flaws in terms of weight distribution. I was going to give the badlands 4500 a try but my brother had way to many items breaking on his 4500 for me to consider it as an alternative. I ended up with a Mystery Ranch 6500 and I can tell you this pack shines in it's ability to carry heavy loads with comfort. Awesome pack!

cabin

Strider: What did you use to replace the pull tabs on your Badlands with? Did you do it yourself or send the pack in for repair. I have 2 of the 2200's and the older one has blown just about every pull tab on it - no problems with the newer model at all to this point.

Cowboy: I cut off the entire pull-tab and looped some very thin cord I got from REI to run through the hole in the zipper body and tied a half-hitch with the two ends. It is similar to what you see on a lot of jacket zippers. Hopefully that description makes sense.

I use the Dana Design Astraplane. I bought mine new maybe 15years ago and love it, it was very pricy then and still keeps its value with the cult like folling they have now. I really like the way it carries weight and the layout. 80LBS feels like nothing and I have to be careful not to overload it. The suspension system is just really that good. Most of my pack hunting is Deer so it will pack out the meat easily and has a great compression system for when your not loaded down. Bad thing is its huge! Its made as an expedtion pack and without a carcass its rather over sized

I found the best way to carry the rifle was attached to the pack vertical with cobra buckles. Its pretty fast to relese and I can do it without taking the pack off. I normally carry my .44 across my chest in case I wonder across a bear or other ill tempered critter.

I am going to try a mystery ranch for a smaller pack at some point. I have been wanting to try them since danas closing although you can still find the old Danas on ebay pretty easy in the $300-400.00 range.

I have the Eberlestock Dragonfly and X1, along with badlands, and Cabelas packs and I only use the Eberle packs. For packing a heavy load there are better choices as pointed out but nothing packs the rifle as well as the Eberle's do and for me the way the pack carries the rifle is the most important feature as it drives me nuts whe it is bouncing against me. It would also be tough to fall and bang up the rifle in the E packs, at least hard enough that if you did so you probably have bigger issues.

$.02 from a new guy to this forum.

Mystery Ranch
Just bought the 6500 in opti-fade
Can't wait to use it
It was $825 shipped but it will be the last pack I need to buy
Well I might buy another smaller one to fit on the nice frame
For shorter trips

The initial price sting of the MR will quickly disappear once you strap on your 1st heavy load. They are worth the money!

I am using the MR Crew Cab with the daypack lid and it is flatout amazing... cant imagine needing anything else, but if I did...Id get the MR 6500...

Before that I used a Dana Glacier, which is just a smaller version of the Astraplane mentioned above. I picked it up at a pawn shop, in great condition, for $75!!! STEAL!

The Eberlestock will not even come CLOSE to comparing to the MR's in build quality and load hauling ability... but the Ebs do have some sweet features.

I have been around the Kifaru LH's quite a bit...they are a good pack for sure...

Good Luck!

iam a kifaru guy have the pack, tent & stove i live in northern b.c & almost all my hunting is back packing.i have badlands,eblerstock & many others like my kifaru for the versatility, love the gun barer,have had it 5 years now no complaints.

It depends on what kind of hunting you are doing. Eberlestock has one of the best rifle carry systems, but **** their packs are heavy. I have used them for trips up to 10 days with a pack out of an elk and it performed well. I have since used other packs and found that the Eberlestock carries the weight too far back and puts alot of stress on your lower back. Mystery ranch is a awesome pack. I have the Nice Wolf Alpha. It is a little big for day pack, but expands for up to 7 days. I purchased an Eberlestock gun scabbord and attached it to the side of the pack webbing. It worked great, better than Eberlestocks attached scabbords. I was able to move it around as my pack changed to balance the weight. If you are serious about backpack hunting then BuffaloBob has it spot on. Get a mountainneering pack that is designed for backpacking. It will be lighter, so you can other things, and better balanced for comfort. I have had issues with some of them not being tough enough for hunting. I am not sure why but I seem to be tough on a pack when I am hunting.

I was looking at the Wolf Alpha. i like the modular set up and the description. Is the Eberlestock scabbard easy to get a good fit with the Wolf pack? i did notice the MR and Eberlestock pacs weigh about the same

On your last comment are you considering the MR packs as mountaineering or are you saying get one of those fancy jobs from REI where they can custom fit a pack that holds 4,000-5,000 cu in and weighs 3-4lbs?

I asked becuase I have thought about this everytime I go to an REI store and when I look at them all I can think is "yep I could wreck one of those in one season". I dont think I am terribly abusive on a pack just that once I hang a rifle or fill it with a dead critter it looks like it would tear. If you have recommendation on which ones have been durable it would be appreciated. I may try one of these out next season.

Never mind, :rolleyes: just went back and read through the posts and realized I missed page 2 recommendations.

I think a guy a would be dang hard pressed to wear out a MR. I wouldn't dare trust anything at REI to stand up to the abuse I've put my MR through....especially hauling out dead critters. The MR are heavier than most packs, but you'll soon forget about that once you strap on a heavy load.

I am new to backpack hunting and don't have the experience of most on here, but I have used the eberlestock packs on day hunts. I have the Mini-me for predator calling or prairie hunts. Sometimes we glass from a vehicle and then make a stalk, this is light and quick for that and the scabbard keeps my hands free for crawling up on game. For walking hunts I had an X1E I used last season and liked it real well, but replaced it with a J34 this spring. The J34 has the expansion system for more gear or meat, and compacts down smaller than the X1E. I really like the J34, I've been doing 3-4 mile hikes with it every other day to get in shape and find sheds. I carry 40lbs of weight and it feels comfortable. They are heavy, but they're built well and waterproof. If you don't plan to use the scabbard, you could find something lighter, but I use mine alot. I jumped a coyote last fall while carrying my rifle in the X1E scabbard, so I pulled it and shot him. I ranged where he started and where he dropped, he had covered 64yds running hard, so you can get one into action pretty quick.

The mini-me is to small for hunting far from civilization. If I don't need a ton of gear and won't be using the scabbard I have a light Camelback Stryker that weighs a little over a pound and carries 1280CI that seem perfect. If I am going deeper, want more gear, or to pack out meat the first trip I like the J34.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.