Backpacking hunts - Bring the suppressor or leave it at home?

grog24

Hello, getting into backpack hunting. Quick background: I have multiple suppressors and use them on things from 22lr up to 45-70s.. even have some Form 1s so I'm well aware of their pros (tons) and cons (weight and length). My intended gun is a 284win built to shoot 184 hybrids with a 26" bartlein barrel.
My intended range is up to 600yds or else I stalk closer.
Annually me and the wife go on a 40-50mile backpacking trip somewhere in the USA so I understand the importance of pack weight management.

With a 26" tube (already long) a suppressor hanging off the end makes will make even more cumbersome. My current thought was either a) have the suppressor handy and pull it out and attach via direct thread when setting up a shot (no QD = marginal weight savings) or b) just don't bring a suppressor and save the weight..

ARE SUPPRESSORS WORTH THEIR WEIGHT ON BACKPACK HUNTS?

Is that a zombie land reference?

But yes I think they actually do warmup before going off on a hunt. - no firsthand experience haha.
Lol indeed sir. Just bringing some culture to the thread.

If you're weapon used is not considered as part of your base weight for packing, then I suppose just consider if it's an acceptable weight for your weapon. I know in backpacking the saying of ounces equals pounds, but we aren't just backpacking.

If the suppressor is fundamental to how you shoot and the weapon is within a acceptable weight range for you, then it's probably worth it enough. If the weight of the suppressor is a problem then you may need to reexamine your whole setup. In my opinion.

Tagging in. I'm in exactly the same boat. Just got my JK armament set up.
I have a 22" barrel proof 7RM. I think it's worth it, plus I can shorten my can by each baffle.

Watch your poi shift-- I bring mine ( titanium 10" @ 12 oz) but I know my poi shift
I like to run 22" barrels with mine but I have a few 24 and 26" that I really like.

I run dt, so I try to leave it attached, but if I have a long hike in/out then for maneuverability I sometimes leave it in the pack.

Just make sure you zero for bare or suppressed and know the poi change if you change your set up.

My can's are made of Ti so they go with me everywhere. 9 ounces. I run 18-22 barrels tho. I prefer the can but I mostly hunt wolves with it so when the times comes for a shot opp the chances I'll be able to take the time to spin on the can is very low. For a bp elk/deer trip I'd definitely not be concerned with packing it as you have time to put on ear pro usually. Kind of a personal call at this point. I love hunting with a can, I set my rifles up around the can use now.

Last edited:
I have a YHM, I take mine with me. The POI shift is there for sure, and it makes my rig LONG!! 28" proof!! So the can stays in my pack. What I do for mine to account for POI Shift is...

Set zerostop below "0" on the turret. I set My hard zero stop for unsuppressed zero at 100 yards... my scope is FFP so, if I don't have time to attach can and dial dope, I hold over. If I don't have time to attach can and dial, that means to me, I don't have any business shooting at it because I don't have enough time for proper setup.

Once I'm "in position" the suppressor is attached and turret set to "0" or dialed appropriately. Essentially I can have the rifle zeroed with or without the suppressor.

I'm building a 20 inch 7 Suam for this purpose.

I'm a fan of them but in reality there's no need other than not needing ear plugs (think rifle with brake).

If I were to run one, it would stay on. I don't like the idea of needing to install while hunting and keeping two different POI references. That's too much to keep up with and too much to go wrong in the heat of the moment. Murphy and his law with be watching closely for an opportunity.

Great input y'all. The POI shift is a concern. But to @Slick8 point, Murphy's law likes to follow me around. I'll probably try to get the rig in a gun bearer with and without suppressor and make a decision. Next time plan around a different round w/ a 20" barrel or something.

Recent Posts