backpacking and long range

You don't need a 20lb gun for a 767.4 yard shot. Normal size/weight rifles shooting "normal" cartridges are perfectly capable LR rigs.

011-1.jpg

Those rifles work better for the 500-1,0000 yard shots, then the "specialized" LR guns work for the 100 yard shots.....

Of the readily available bullets, the 162gr AMAX and the 168gr Berger. Both with a BC over .6...

Those would be my picks for the sub 1K work.

Berger 180 gr has a BC of .684. There are others that are higher, but I don't know how easy they are to find.

My rifle weighs 5 3/4lbs or about 7lbs with scope. I am comfortable with it to around 1000yds. I haven't had the opportunity for anything farther than that yet so I feel its a good set up. I like to hunt the timber sometimes so I really like having a very light and handy rifle. My set up is a .340wby,24" #2 lilja barrel. You don't need a heavy rifle to shoot long range. They key for me is a bipod or pack up front and a rear support of somekind. I have a self made poly bead made "pillow" for a rear rest. I can't imagine carrying around a 17lb rifle. That doesn't sound like fun. At the range yes but not in the field.

I was just wondering of those that backpack in to hunt long range does anyone carry a rifle 17lbs or over?

A rifle with scope weighing ~10 lbs is about the limit for me for a hiking / backpacking gun. And I prefer a bit less than that. You won't catch me packing a 17 lb rifle in the mountains. I've backpack hunted in Alaska for the past 30 years and there's no place for a 17 lb rifle in my arsenal, or even a 13 lb rifle. Packing an overly heavy rifle around is a recipe for hating life, or at least life backpack hunting. There's too many miles covered where you'll never even fire the weapon to justify lugging that kind of weight around in the rough country. Lighter rifles are capable of long range accuracy. They're a bit harder to pilot than the heavier guns, from what I've read, and the thinner tubes on the lighter rifles will open up the groups more after three shots than the heavier tubes. But the animal should really be down for the count before a third shot is required.

I did the- "carry the 17lb rifle thing". Actually 22lb...... it was gay.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I looked up 'gay' -so you're saying your were joyous lively ;merry -wow toting a 22lb. rifle and very happy about it !!!! Your a go-getter bud..

.making a funny here..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.