Backpack with rifle carrier/scabbard/sling?

Totoro

Hey fellas, what pack system are you using to tote around your LR sticks?

I am currently using using an Eberlestock Dragonfly but the rifle is a real tight fit. New rifle is 4 inches longer and with bigger optic.

I really like Eberlestock's scabbard system though with the business end of the rifle being protected as well as the bags capacity for a tripod/spotter etc.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Kifaru "Gun Bearer".

Works great, especially when the rifle is carried scope down and the rifle is at an angle to keep the barrel away from your head.

Very fast to shoulder the rifle. As fast as any sling with the exception of a 2 point military cross chest carry sling.

Eric B.

I've been using the Kifaru Gun Bearer for the past 4 years. It takes a little getting used to, but I have been very happy with it. Pretty smart system in my opinion. As litehiker stated, rifle is quick and easy to get into shooting position. FYI, my rifle has a 26" fairly heavy contour barrel and weighs a bit over 12 lbs.

i use the the Kuiu rifle sling on my icon pro 5200, but i use it like the gun bearer from kifaru. i attach the top strap to the D ring on my shoulder strap, and run it around the barrel. i run it scope up so my arm can help cover the action when walking thru brush

Eberlestock-type pack scabbards are OK for long distances and total protection of the rifle but they are heavy compared to the Kifaru Gun Bearer. As a geezer who backpack hunts I count every ounce.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I use the Eberlestock Just One, it is a bit heavy, but is bulletproof when packing out meat. I also use the X1 Euro for most days, it weighs 5 3/4#, whereas the J-34 Just One is 7 1/2 #. Both have generous capacity for long range rifles.

I have the Eberlestock X3 LoDrag. It's durable, comfortable and has plenty of room for the first trip back to the truck after getting an animal down. I don't feel like it's all that heavy at 5.5lbs.

I use the X3 Eberlestock for coyote hunting with my AR. Big game hunting I'll use my Exo 3500 and carry my rifle in the long side pocket or on a sling, or use my Kifaru and carry it on a sling with the Frankenstud sling keeper mentioned earlier. The load lifters on my Kifaru are spaced a bit wider than the Exo and always want to push my sling off my shoulder. I may rig up my Eberlestock scabbard on my Kifaru with the Nomad 2 bag for my heavy 264WM but haven't yet. Any time I'm going in very far I tend to pack my lighter Rifles Inc 300WM.

So question. On the Kifaru site it says the gun bearer only fits Kifaru waistbelts. Is that true or will it fit Kuiu, Alps Outdoorz, Etc?

You want the universal gunbearer for the other brands. The Kifaru one attaches with the little clips to the webbing on the Kifaru belt. I wouldn't trust the spacing to be right for other brand packs even if they have webbing.

I tried the gunbearer but couldn't get used to the rifle under my arm. I might like it better with a short barrel, short action, but my 300 with a 23.5" barrel plus a brake just seemed a bit awkward in it to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.